Sri Thirumazhisai Azhwar

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 8, 1997

From: Satyan, Nagu on Wed, Jan 8, 1997 11:20 AM
Subject: Sri Thirumazhisai Azhwar
To: bhakti digest

I re-read the article posted by Sri Anbil Ramaswamy on our Azhwars and
Acharyas.  With respect to the incident when the Brahmins stopped
reciting the Vedas when they saw Thirumazhisai Azhwar approaching, he
(Sri AR) has indicated that they did so because the Azhwar was a
fourth caste.  I did not come across an explanation by him that it was
because the Brahmins were distracted by the intense glow from the
Chakra Amsam.

As Mani indicated, the references I have read including LIFCO Divya
Prabhandham publication etc, clearly indicate that the Brahmins
stopped reciting Vedas because of Azhwar's varnashrama.

However, on a different ocassion, when the Azhwar intended to attend a
big celebration planned, there were a few rumblings because of his
varnashrama.  When Azhwar prayed to Sriman Narayana to show to them
that HE was residing in Azhwar's heart,  the Lord at that time heard
his Bhaktha and appeared in the Azhwar's chest along with Conch and
Chakram.  At this time, the Sudharshanam Chakram did come to his help.
 I believe that this is the reason Swami Desikan referred to this
Azhwar as "Mazhisai Vandha Jyothi."

Re Mani's comments that the Brahmins did apachaaram, I agree with him
and  it is obvious  based on  the subsequent events that happened in
Azhwar's life when the Brahmins themselves begged for his forgiveness.
 My hope is to focus on the positive aspects (and the positive
outcomes of these incidents)  of the great Azhwar's life.

Nagu Satyan