Kandaadai Family

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 8, 1997

From: Satyan, Nagu on Wed, Jan 8, 1997 10:48 AM
Subject: Kandaadai Family
To: bhakti digest

Mohan Sagar covered most of the facts.    Last April on Sri
Dasarathy's (Sri Ramanujacharya's nephew) Thirunakshatthiram, I had
posted an article on Dasarathy and his son Kandaadai Aandan.  I am
providing additional info extracted from that posting on the origin of
this name.

Dasarathy (AKA Mudaleeaandan) was deeply engrossed in the temple
activities at SriRangam.  One day he approached his Acharya (and
maternal uncle) Sri Ramanujacharya and expressed his sorrow that he
was getting old and did not have a son to continue with the service
(kainkaryam) to God.  Unexpectedly at that time, Sri Ramanujacharya
recd the koil prasaadam.  When he noticed the cloth used to cover the
sacred prasadam, he became very happy.  He removed the cloth which had
been earlier used to drape over Perumaal during Thirumanjanam. The
cloth had the inherant sacred fragrance.  Sri Ramanujacharya informed
Sri Dasarathy that Sriman Narayana had heard Dasarathy's wish.  Sri
Ramanujacharya gave the cloth to Dasarathy's wife who accepted it with
great devotion and placed the cloth on her head with reverence.  Sri
Ramanujacharya took some prasadam and gave the left over to her.  Soon
after that she gave birth to a son.  Dasarathy named him Ramanujam
since he was born with the blessings of Sri Ramanujacharya.   However,
Sri Ramanujacharya named the child "Kandaadai Aandan" (one who wore
kandaadai) since the child was born with the blessings recd from
Perumaal's fragrant (kandham) cloth (aadai).  The second meaning is
torn (kanda) cloth (aadai).  The followers of Kandaadai Aandaan have
to be known as Kandaadai Aandaan.  As Mohan indicated, Kandaadai
Aandan is one of the 74 Simhasanadhipathis.  I believe these families
belong to Vaadhulasa Gothram.

Over a period of time name Kandaadai has taken different spellings,
influenced by regional languages and scripts.  Regarding the ancestral
place, I believe the old Madras state was much bigger than the current
Tamil Naadu and many towns part of AP and Karnataka were under the old
domain.   In fact many Sri Vaishnava families have roots to Chittoor,
Kuppam (Lakshmipuram), Guntur etc.

Nagu Satyan