Re: Say no to equality!

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 22, 1996

On Jan 22,  9:53am, Parthasarati Dileepan wrote:
> Subject: Say no to equality!
>
> I don't wish to belabor the point, but I am unable to resist
> enlisting Azhvaar paasurams to bolster my view that
> equality is not a goal for Sri Vaishnavaas.

At the same time, *inequality* in the political sense
should also not be preached by Sri Vaishnavas, as it
so often is.  There should not be an imposition of
hierarchy from above, it seems to me.

However, I do not think it wrong for Sri Vaishnavism
to promote the viewpoint that all are equal, from the
viewpoint of human rights.  There is strong precedent
for this from within the tradition itself.

Mani