Re: Mandukya Upanishad & fourth state (Was Re: Avataarams)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 4, 1996

I would like to slightly deviate from Mani's interpretation.  The fourth state
is also called kaivalya or atma avalokana.  It is no doubt a state of bliss.
But according to our sampradayam this leads to solipsism.  Self-realisation (or
atma avalokana) is only a step towards God-realization (Bhagavat-Anubhavam).
Therefore we should reject even the bliss of kaivalya to reach the highest goal
which is the abode of Sriman Narayana.

Vijayaraghavan Srinivasan .
To: prapatti @ srirangam.esd.sgi.com @ Internet
cc:  (bcc: Vijay Srinivasan)
From: mani @ srirangam.esd.sgi.com ("Mani Varadarajan") @ Internet
Date: 01/04/96 04:19:29 PM
Subject: Mandukya Upanishad & fourth state (Was Re: Avataarams)

I wanted to clarify what the Mandukya Upanishad says
about the fourth or ``turiya'' state of consciousness.
This is interpreted by all acharyas as the state of
moksha.  Of course, according to Advaita it means
that the unity of Brahman has been achieved, and all
distinctions due to ajnaana have disappeared.

According to our acharyas, the fourth state consists
of the complete and immediate apprehension of Brahman
by the individual self, and it consists of absolute
freedom and bliss.  Sri Kooranaarayana Muni (not
Kooratthaazhvaan but a later acharya) has commented
on this Upanishad explaining it from a Visistadvaita
perspective.

Therefore, the goal of Saranagati is this fourth
state of consciousness, the state of saayujyam
where the self comes face to face with God and
mingles with Him.

Mani