Re: Kundalini etc.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 18, 2003

(Note from Moderator:  I have requested SrI Ramachandran to include in his next posting, some information on the place of yoga in our tradition.  I am hoping that it will include aspects such as yoga being one of the a'nga-s of bhakti, what our AcArya-s have said about yoga approach, etc.  It is true that if prapattti is compared with other more difficult approaches, prapatti is considered the best of them all.  This should not mean that we should not know that other methods exist, and should not prevent us from learning the basics of these other approaches.  I believe the discussion on this topic should be useful if we approach it from the point of view of learning about this discipline, rather than taking positions before the basics are stated and understood.  I again request SrI Ramachandran to give us the high level aspects of the place of yoga in the context of the veda-s, its role as an a'nga of the bhakti yoga, its role in the realization of Brahman, the AcAryas' position on this path, etc., so that w

Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

Dear All,
First of all, kindly accept my apologies, in case, by any means I would
offend anyone with this mail, though it is never my intent.

I am so happy to see this e-mail on kundalini as it has given me an
excellent opportunity to share one of the BEST kalakshepams I've heard from
my swamy.

The kalakshepam started with the subject on various popular shastras that
are being condemened by great scholars in support of the Saranagathi
Philosophy. Each shastra is examined one by one.

Vyakarana Shastram: Essence - OM - the shabdham itself is God. Condemned,
because, it separates the OM shabdham from the superior qualities of the
almighty. By referring to Brahmasutras and to Shri Ramanujar's Shri Bhashyam
 one can easily prove that the paramatman is more than just the OM Shabdham.

Tharka Shastram: Essence - God exists and we may believe him, the reason
being anumana(presumption?). This world has been created. Hence, someone
must be behind this creation and must be of supreme nature. So, it may be
accepted that, God, the supreme personality exists. Condemned, because, it
decreases the faith on the Vedas. Vedas are the basis of all our
philosophies and if one does not believe the supreme personality based on
the vedas, but based on the anumana then it is not correct.

Yoga Shastram: Essence - You put effort to know him. Condemened, due to
numerous reasons. An example was cited by Shri swamy. A rich man exercises
everyday to maintain his body, i.e he needs the tools to maintain it. A poor
man works a lot and hence his body is in shape due to the very reason that
he is a worker by nature. The poor man needs no tools. Similarly, the tools
like yogabyasam etc are for those who do not work:) i.e who donot service
the ultimate after performing saranagathi. But for a person who has done
saranagathi, he needs no special exercise or efforts. The kuntalini is in
him and he is in the state of bliss all the time.

The rich man has a power. If someone doesn't give what is due to him, he
will send 10 people to scare and threaten and get the same. The poor man has
a power that is superior to this rich man's power. When anything unjust is
done to a poor man, if he heartily curses, it will bring 10 rich men to the
roads in no time. If in the lowkika life we see this happening, then in the
spiritual life, one can imagine what is the state of the one who has
performed saranagathi to the ultimate("akinchanaha; ananyagadhihi;
asaranyaha, tvath paadaravindhayugalam saranamaham prapadhye") when compared
to the one who performs the yoga etc to bring out the kuntalini by his/her
own efforts. The Yoga shastra is being condemed due to this path. I.E when
one puts his/her own efforts to seek the almighty, he/she actually ends up
enjoying the effort that was put in by him/her and hence on all
probabilities falls for the self i.e the atman. This means, yoga shastra
lets you enjoy your effort and before the time you seek the almighty, it
puts you in a trap where you think YOU had the capability to find HIM and it
was all YOUR efforts. This state is often described as "Kaivalyam" (the "Edu
Nilam" in tamizh). It has been mentioned that going to hell is better than
being trapped in Kaivalyam, the reason being, one will get back to this
world from hell and will be given a chance to think of the almighty while
those who are trapped in kaivalyam (it is one of the mokshams as mentioned
by our Purvacharyars) are never freed until the almighty really wants to
free them. And hence, Kaivalyam is probably the worst place one should not
go to.

Swamy concludes that, due to the various reasons cited above, those paths
need not be adapted for those who have fallen under the protection of Shri
Ramanujar's Saranagathi tattvam. He continues saying that there is nothing
called "Your Effort" to seek him. You belong to him. Our hands do not try to
know us. They do their duty and have maha-vishwasam with the atman, that it
will take care of them. Similarly we must do our service to him and must
have the maha-vishwasam on him that he will take care of us and the need for
other shastras will eventually fade away.

All credits go only to my swamy "Shri Chaturvedi Swamy" and anything that is
incorrect is purely my mis-interpretation and my apologies for the same.

Yatheendra Pravanam Vandhe RAMYA Jaamaataram Munim

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan