Re: ThiruppAvai 24th verse- Sri Mukkur Azhagiya Singar's divine anubhavam- excerpts

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 8, 2003

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Nama:

Dear Smt Rajalakshmi,

This is what I have read about this. "eRinthAy"
definitely shows the action of the hands while
"kazhal" is feet. So, there appears a little
contradiction here. Our acharyas explaint this as,
that the yadava girls are praising the beautiful
and "veeram polintha" feet of Krishna as He walked
toward the calf to pick him up and throw him.

I would venture that they are praising His tender
feet as He had to use them first to walk toward
the calf.

Personally, adiyEn thinks that our Azhvars and
Acharyas are so enamored with His lotus feet which
is the source of our surrender ("thiru-k-kamala
pAtham vanthu" says ThiruppANAzhvAr), that they
use every opportunity to praise them. For example,
"paraman adi pAdi" says Andal in the second
pasuram, and not "paramanai-p pAdi".

The other interesting thing that I read about this
pasuram was that after praising His divine avayas
or His divine guNas in a row ("adi", "thiRal",
"pugazh", "kazhal", "guNam"), Andal suddenly switches
to praising a weapon ("vEl"). It is described that
just as Dasaratha and his sons were known to always
keep a bow, so too Nanda and his sons are known to
keep a spear - "kUrvEl kodunthozilan nandagOpan"
says Andal. But why praise the spear suddenly? The
vyakhyanam said that after praising Him, Andal
suddenly realized that someone might cast an evil
eye at Sri Krishna upon hearing all of these great
things about Him. So, Andal is saying, hold on, it
is not all Him; He was using weapons too; so don't
go about casting your evil eye on Him. After all,
she is the daughter of Periyazhvar and His mangaLam
will be in her mind always.

adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan
TCA Venkatesan

http://mailplus.yahoo.com