Re: anthima smruthi (remembering the Lord at final moments)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 29, 2002

Dear BhagavtOttamas,

Looking at this further, on the surface of it there
appears to be a contradiction.

Our sampradhayam holds that for a prapannan the only
means to reach Him is through Him. Once prapatti has
been done at His lotus feet nothing further is
required to reach Him. Yet, we are also concluding
that He will make sure that a prapannan remembers
Him in the final moments. That is, the remembrance
is a required act beyond prapatti. This seems
contradictory.

AdiyEn thinks that it would be resolved as follows.
It is true that a prapannan does not need to remember
Him in the final moments. It also is true that Sriman
Narayana does not have to aid in the remembrance
either. However, were He to not do that, then the
Sastras that state that He has to be remembered might
appear to be false. Since He provided us the Sastras
to help us reach Him, He will not let those Sastras
be held untrue. Hence, we can conclude that He will
make sure that the prapannan remembers Him.

I look forward to thoughts on this from the esteemed
bhAgavthAs in this group.

adiyEn madhurakavi dAsan
TCA Venkatesan

http://auctions.yahoo.com