Re: saranagathi & karma===question

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 20, 2002

SrImatE nigamAnta-mahaa-dESikaaya nama:
thanjap-para-gatiyait-thandharuLvOn vaazhiyE !
senthamizh thoopuL thiru-venkaTavan vaazhiyE !

Obviously,  "SaraNAgati" in the sense of "high-degree of
Surrenderedness to SrIman-nArAyaNa" does not immediately cause  the
physical/gross/material body to disappear nor the sins/merits that
must be experienced through the gross body.

(I beleive bhagavd-rAmAnuja SAstrically argues in great length
pointing out the untenability of jIvan-mukta vaada.
but I don't know the details.)

Our material bodies exist only due to our past puNya-paapa-ruupa-
karma.   Our current material body cannot exist even for a moment
without puNya-paapa-ruupa-karma .  if your punya-paapa-acount hits
zero balance, then your gross body will instantly disappear!!

Thus for the baddha-jIva-s (ie yet-to-liberated) like us
  existence of gross body =>  karma is still left =>
      uninterupted devotional service _IMPOSSIBLE_ YET.

When prapatti  is expressly requested to SrIman-nArAyaNa for the
purpose of doing uniterupted service at SrI-vaikuNTham (ie moksham),
the jIvaatmaa also requests WHEN it wants moksham be granted.

Most people request moksham only after the end of their current life
and so they automatically accept the fruition of all the past puNya-
paapa-roopa-karma till the current gross body disappears.

It is interesting that SrI kRshNa uses the future tense, "aham tvaa
sarva-paapEbhyO mokshayishyaami"  in His bhagavad-gIta carama-Sloka.
ie "I _will_ liberate you from all karma"

But Sankara-nirviSesha-brahma-vaada and the Hare-kRshNa-s believe
that moksha can happen even for a baddha-jIva right here in this
world even with a material body.
But I do not see how that is possible.
However devoted one may be, the functions of the physically filthy
body (hunger/thirst/sleep) do manifest and do actually prevent one
from performing uninterupted devotional service.
plus the gross karmic body  is disgusting - full of filth like bile,
urine, gas etc.    jeevan-mukti concept is thus simply illogical !

Browse the archives "prapatti" for more details.

Here is one link in the archives, for a starter.
   http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/dec99/0012.html

aDiyEn, thoopuL-piLLai-dAsan,
Ramkumar

--- In bhakti-list@y..., "kalaivani retnavellu"