Re: social justice

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 20, 2002

i believe you consider matthew 22:36-40 (KJV) as being the principal
tenets of christianity -

22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all
thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour
as thyself.
22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

i quote the bhagavad gita 12.13-14 (swami prabhupada's translation) -

"One who is not envious but is a kind friend to all living entities,
who does not think himself a proprietor and is free from false ego,
who is equal in both happiness and distress, who is tolerant, always
satisfied, self-controlled, and engaged in devotional service with
determination, his mind and intelligence fixed on Me -- such a
devotee of Mine is very dear to Me."

i can't see any difference between the gospel according to matthew
22:36-40 and the bhagavad gita 12.13-14. in fact, the gita seems to
go further and directs man to love *all* living beings - not only
one's neighbours, parents etc.

this is regarding the underlying theories of christianity and
hinduism. translating theory to practice is a different matter
entirely.

regards,
prabhu.