RE:urchava moorthies

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 13, 2002

 Dear Sri Sadagopan -
Thank you for your wonderful explanation in just one mail. It was like the extract of Sri Ethiraj's book on 108 divya desams.  It is possible to remember the details only by meditating on the divya desams continually.
Reading your mail has opened up a few more doubts. What is Dhruva Bheram ? What isthe meaning of Gharba Graham ? I know it refers to sanctum sanctorum but never before thought of the meaning of the words themselves.
You had mentioned that in Sri Villiputhur, Thirukoshtiyur and ThirupullAni, the moolavar  is in more than one posture. What are the postures ? I am unable to comprehend how the moolavar canbe in more than one posture. Are there multiple deities ?
How is Sri Ranganatha recognized as Damodara Kannan ? I was told that  Rama incarnated as Ranganatha so that vibhishana can worship Him.
Yourd humbly
Rajaram V.
  Sadagopan  wrote: At 09:14 PM 1/12/02 -0800, you wrote:

>I have a doubt. Why is the utsavar a different posture from the moolavar
>almost always ?
>
> Sriram Ranganathan wrote:
>
>Dear Sri Sreekanth//bhAgavatAs,
>
>In most of the Sri Vaishnava temples you will find two types of idols.

Dear Sri Venaktaramani:

As Sriram Ranganathan mentioned the Uthsava Moorthys
are for bringing the Lord out on to the streets of
His Raaja Veedhis and neighboring villages on special
occasions , so that ALL can have the blessings of
the Lord as He comes to us with pomp and splendour.
The sick, the lazy ,the elderly and ALL who can not
or do not get to the temple to worship Him there can NOW
have the blessings of His darsanam with His Devi(s)
right in front of their homes.The BhagavathAs have also
their darsanam that fills their hearts with joy. Moolavr
as Dhruva BhEram stays inside the Garbha Graham.

Uthsava Moorthy in most cases are in the standing posture .
One of the exceptions is Sri Govinda Raajan at
Thillai Thirucchitthirakkoodam.

MOOLAVARS are either in standing posture (Thirumalai-Thiruppathi,
Oppiliappan Koil , Kaanchipuram );

or in Sleeping/reclining posture ( as at Srirangam ,
Thirukkudanthai , Thiruvananathapuram and 24 other
dhivya desams among the 108 uhanthu aruLina NilankaLs
sung by the 12 AzhwArs);

or in standing posture in 60 dhivya Desams
( ThiruvallikkENi and 59 other KshEthrams);

or in the seated posture as at ThiruarimEya ViNNagaram ,
Thiru Aali , (near SeerkhAzhi),Thirukkadigai ( ShOlingar),
Thirukkoodal ( Koodalazhagar at Madhurai), AhObilam ,
ThiruppAdakam ( Kaanchi KshEthrram ),Thirupputtkuzhi
VijayarAghavan , ThiruppErai (PaanDya Nadu) ,
ThiruvaNNparichAram ( MalayALa Naadu),ThiruvaraguNamangai,
Thiruvaikuntha ViNNagram and Thirupparama Padham ( seated
facing South).

There are dhivya dEsams , where the Moolavar is in more
than one posture (e.g): ThirukkOshtioor, ThiruppullANi ,
SrivilliputthUr.

At Srirangam , there is a special distinction between
Moolavar and Uthsavar. Moolavar has been recognized as
KrishNan ( DaamOdhara KaNNan) and Uthsavar as Lord
Raamachandran .

The directions that the Moolavar faces inside
His garbhagraham are also different at different
Dhivya dEsams. At 79 dhivya Desams , The Moolavar
and Uthsavar Face East . At 19 dhivya dEsams,
He faces west ( Kaanchipuram et al), At 7 dhivya desams ,
He faces South ( Srirangam , SiRupuliuoor ,Parama Padham
(Sri Vaikuntam ), ThiruppARkkadal et al.He faces north at
three dhivya dEsams ( AyOddhi, URayoor and SaaLagramam).

There are reasons for the directions they face based on
ithihAsams and Sthala PurANam .

Independent of all these details , Dhivya Dampathis
enter into ArchA forms ( consecrated vigrahams
or appear as svyam vyaktha vigrahms) with Suddha
Satthva ThirumEni to bless us and unite us with
the AchAryans for performing SaraNAgathy to attain Him.

BhOgi PaNDigai Day, Vishu Samvathsaram,
V.Sadagopan