Re: Careful Transliteration

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 11, 2001

Sri.  MahavishNu:  Your comments are very welcome; I am
sure that many members of this list have observed transliteration
problems.  The issue comes back to whether the writer is spelling
out a word from Tamil or Sanskrit - most people appear to use
the Tamil standards with Sanskrit words interchangeably.
Unfortunately, one size does not fit all here, and the resulting
inconsistencies have been described by Sri. Mani Varadarajan
and Sri. Anand Karalapakkam earlier.

There is no obvious way to resolve this, since the very fact of
whether a word belongs to Sanskrit or Tamil is disputed by most
people.  In this controversial setting, one can easily make the
argument that a particular word is from Tamil and so can be
spelled ambigiously -- an "ambiguity" that would cease to exist
under that argument.

It would be a good idea to agree upon some tranliteration
standards for both languages, to begin with.  Then, we can use
them to our advantage at least in stotrams and pasurams, where
the "origin" of the words are not in dispute [as opposed to casual
usage].  I request the administrator to provide such guidelines.

adiyEn,
-Srinath C.