Re: Relating to Non-Vedic Religions - What is our stand ?

From the Bhakti List Archives

• January 4, 2000

--- Jaisimman s/o Rangasamy
wrote:
>> I would like to understand what our view should be
> of non-vedic religions> such as Islam and
Christianity ?> Has Visishtadvaita made any explicit
comments on> these ?

> How are we to relate to the bible and the koran ?
> Are we to reject Christ and Muhammad or accept them
> as saintly persons> according to desha. kala. patra
but reject their> philosophical systems which> are
based on ideas contrary to the Vedas ?
> R.Jai Simman
> Singapore

Sir,

This is a very good question. Unfortunately, adiyen
cannot offer an equally good answer but no harm
trying.

The Vedic religion is universal in nature. It is
non-exclusive. It is eternal ("anAdi").

Other religions are not so. They all have a beginning
in time. Most of them owe their existence to a great
prophet or messiah. Some of them are highly exclusive
as they generally express, in mute or strident terms,
a certain intolerance towards those they consider
"infidels" or "pagans" or "idolatrous". Therefore not
all of those religions, unlike the Vedic religion, may
truly qualify to be called "universal" and "timeless".

Having said that, adiyen must add that none of us must
fall to the fatal temptation of passing judgment on
the relative merits or demerits of any religion. Very
few of us really understand and practice our
respective religions in letter and spirit. So it is
better to remain humble and not probe such questions
as "what should be our attitude to non-vedic
religions?". We should instead spend all our energies
and effort in making sure first that our attitude to
our own religion is what it ought to be.

However, if you really press adiyen for a definitive
answer to your pointed questions, adiyen would say
that our attitude to all other religions should be one
of "enlightened indifference". We should remain
steadfastly faithful to our own Vedic roots while, at
the same time, harbouring neither disdain nor
intolerance for others.

adiyen has read some portions of the Bible and also
some translations of the Koran. Both are books of
profound wisdom, no doubt, and have much to teach us
all indeed. Furthermore, they are also all written in
excellent language and style. However, adiyen always
looks to them for education only rather than for
enlightenment, information only rather than for
inspiration.

For real "enlightenment" and "inspiration" adiyen
knows he has surely no other place to go but straight
to the Vedic religion.

dAsan,
Sampathkumaran