RE: Tirumazhisai Alvar TN

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 2, 1999

Sri:

Dearest Sisters and Brothers,

The reminder on ThirumazhisaiAzhwAr's Thirunakshathram (by Sri Mani) made me
contemplate on this Great AzhwAr and his works. (Thanks Mani!). The
Sudharsana amsa ThirumazhisaiAzhwAr's Thirucchandhaviruttham is a real
poetic marvel. Each pAsuram is deftly written by AzhwAr narrating the
esoteric vEdic meanings. The play with numbers and the literary beauty is
superb. One has to read it rhymingly set to (thaaLam) beat to admire it even
better.

There is a pAsuram (5th) in Thiruzzhandha viruttham:

niNRiyanghum onRalaa vurukkadORum aaviyaay/
onRiyuL kalandhu ninRa ninna thanmai yinnadhu enRu/
enRum yaarkkum eNNiRandha aadhiyaay ninnundhivaay/
anRu naan mugaRpayandha vaadhi dEvanallaiyE/

He is an antharyaami in everyone and evrything; He is the Cause and Creator
of the whole Universe and all worlds; He is the One who supports everything
(except Him); - Such Greatest Most auspicious nature of His- one can realise
just as some sort of guess work/ perception. But the way He showed to me
right here; and I have been blessed by Him to see as He is- Who can see Him
like that?- Only I.

What an anubhavam! In fact, in the previous pAsuram, AzhwAr says "There are
Vedas and Manthra rahasyams to comprehend Emperumaan Sriman Narayanan in the
right manner and most accurately and AzhwAr says in this pAsuram "who can
see Him like what I (have been blessed to) see?"

Let us pay our saashtaaga namaskarams to this Great AzhwAr

Thirumazhisai AzhwAr ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam

NamO narayana

Narayana dAsan