From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 22, 1997

Dear Sri Sudarshan : I think I have come across this slokam
in Prapanna PArijAtham , where NadAthur AmmAL
quotes it as a part of commentary on Lakshmi Tantram.
I have referred to it in my article on ThirukkaNNamangai
ThaayAr , Sri Abhishekavalli in an artcle on that
divya desam and the krithi of Mutthuswami Deekshithar
composed for that Lord in the apoorva Raagam  Vamsavathi,
a Janya raagam of the Mela Kartha , Viswambhari .
The krithi starts with the pallavi :
" Bhakthavatsalam Abhishekavalliyutham BajEham Nityam ".
As usual , I can not find that article written some
ten years ago .

This KshEtram is known as KrishNa Mangala KshEtram
and the ThaayAr is worshipped there as the one ,
who received the Abhishekam from the Ashta digh GajAs
prior to choosing the Lord in her svayamvaram
at the side of the milky ocean, when the Lord emerged
from His engagement of churning that ocean for nectar
and attained Her as the supreme nectar(PeNNamudhu).

If my memory serves me right , this beautiful verse
is not by Acharya RamAnujA and is about Maha Lakshmi
in general and not about PerundEvi ThAyAr.This verse
to the best of my recollection is from VishNu PurANam.

I will not be surprised , if my memory is faulty.

V.Sadagopan