Re: Thirupathy

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 21, 1996

On Wed, 21 Feb 1996, krish wrote:

> I was reading a sthalpuram ( comic book style ) of
> Lord Venakteshwara and the story did not include a
> narrative my mother had told me. The Lord took it on
> his chin a blow from the kodali(crowbar?) swung by an
> irate husband at his pregnant wife. He was upset at
> her delay in removing the mud he was digging for
> well. Can you shed some light?
> Another was the illustrations of Balaji with
> thegali namam, some of the other characters
> like Suka brhamrishi have vadagalai namam.
> But he front poster has the new style worn in
> present day temples. I was curious why the
> eyes of the Lord are partially painted with the
> namam, probably a compromise.
> Krishan Praba.

Namaskaram
	There are different stories that are narrated by many.  But it is
said that a person belonging to the yadava sect who used to take care of
the cows for the king saw the Gomata emptying her milk into a  ant hill.
He by curiosity started dinging the ant hill and accidently hit Lord
srinivasa who was in meditation.  Being disturbed he cursed him. This is
the story I heard.

The second part is interesting one.
The tirupathi temple in the begining was under the supervision of
vadagalai Iyengars.  During that period "U" namam was apllied to the
lord.  Later on it came under the supervision of tengalai Iyengars.  Then
"Y" naman was applied.  As this shift of temple supervision was changing
between vadagalai and tengalai iyengars some time during 1940 or 1950
there was big fight over which namam should be applied.  This was
followed by a legal battle in which the judge declared that three strips
be applied.  Two white strips and a red strip to satisfy bothe the sect
members.  From that time on the procedure is being followed.  I gathered
this story from my grandfather and mother.

with love
shashi
Shashikanth Hosur                         Email: shashi@kbsdec2.tamu.edu
Department Of Industrial Engg             shashi@kbssun1.tamu.edu
Texas A&M University                      shashikanth@tamu.edu
	                                  http://http.tamu.edu:8000/~s0h6616/
Home:(409) 691 8644                       http://kbssun1.tamu.edu/~shashi
Fax: (409) 846 5468
office :(409) 845 0441
		                  !OM!
Your right is to work only, but never to the fruit thereof, nor let your
attachment be to inaction.

					- BhagavatGita 2:47

Love All and Serve All
                        --- Bhagwan Sri Sathya Sai Baba