RE: Soul after death and before next birth

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 20, 2003

a short answer to your question.

1) if the soul has not attained moksha, it is in some other body but every
soul will attain a position called pretha sthana after death. if the rituals
are performed, like depositing dollars in one country and getting rupees in
other country, the central post office Lord Srihari will take care of
appeasing that dead person's soul in any place it is. this  is the shastraic
answer.

2) if the soul got delivered and is in moksha, it can take any number of
forms. eakadha bhavati .... shatada bhavati.. this means it can take 100
forms. just to receive ritual offerings it can come even though it will not
since it is happy with god.

however, the person has to do the ritual to get rid of his karmas or offer
thanks to the dead relative. or else this person will have pratyavaya dosha
or ill effects of not doing his karma. ritual is nothing but loans to be
repaid since that relative helped get the body.
similarly all devatas like yama etc. are thanked to have given various parts
of the body of the deceased.

Incidentally this is the first question I asked when I was 19 and when I
first met my preceptor in the cremation grounds.

asmad gurubhyo namah.

Krishna