Re: Being 'aiyanGAr'.

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 25, 2002

Bhagavatha Bandugalige Sharanu,
After seeing so many mails regarding the word Iyengar/ Aiyangar, I think
the mail from Sri. SundaraRajan is Right.

The Word Aiyya / Aiyyan is common in all the Dravidian Languages.
In Kannada generally Elderly Brahmins are called Aiyya Navaru with Respect.

We have many Iyengar Scholars who have written Great Literary works in
Kannada and One Sri. Masthi Venkatesha Iyengar won the JnanaPit Award for
his literary works in Kannada.

We have Purohit Tirunarayana Iyengar Narasimhachar(Shotly called Pu. Thi. Na
)who is from Melukote/ Tirunarayanapuram who has written a great literary
work called Shree Krishna Charite which is a Mahakavyam in Kannada dedicated
solely to Shree Krishna Bhakti/ Prapatti.

His Kavyams always contains the touch of Bhakthi to Sri Cheluvanarayana.

These people are called Aiyangaryaru in Respect by Kannada Scholars.

Note the Word Arya in Aiyangaryaru. I think there is a relation between the
word Aiyangar to Arya and the word has its origin in Samskrit.

So in the word Aiyangar, Ai stands for Five. So the right interpretation of
the word Aiyangar is one who does
Pancha Samskaram in his day to day life, as highlihted by some of our
respected members.

But I don't know how many of us do these PanchaSamskaram in our day to day
life and how can we manage this in this material/mechanical World.

It would be helpful if some one guide us how they manage there time in doing
all these samskarams daily and work simultaneously. So that the word Iyengar
in our names will have some significance.

Om Namo Narayanaya

Sharanam
Srinivasa Iyengar