Re:Radha&Rukmini

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 18, 2002

At 10:50 PM 2/16/02 -0800, you wrote:
>Ramaya Rama Bhadraya Ramachandraya Vedase
>Raghunathaya Nathaya Seetaya Pataye Namah
>
>Manmano Bhista Vardam, Sarvabhista PhalaPradam
>Purundara Gurum Vande, Dasa Shrestam Dayanidhim
>
>Dear Vishnu Bhakthas

>A lot has been written in these
>columns regarding beauty, Radha,
>Rukmini and et'al.

Dear SrI Gururaj Rao :

Thanks for your nice postings . I would like to point out
a correction to your narration on amrutha MaTanam .
It was Lord Dhanvanthri,who arose out of the Milky Ocean
with amrutha Kalasam .

Mohini avathAram was later. She used Her charm to
cheat the asurAs out of their share of amrutham
and gave it away exclusively to the dEvAs.

Here is the sequence of the events as told
by Srimath BHaagavatham:

When the Lord single handedly churned the milky ocean ,
MahA Lakshmi arose . In a svayamvaram , She chose
SrIman NaarAyaNan as Her consort.

Next arrived VaaruNi Devi , who is synonymous with
intoxication and Taamasa GuNam and the aurAs accepted her .
AsurAs did not become the object of the mercy of
MahA Lakshmi.

After VaaruNI dEvi, Dhanvanthri BhagavAn arose out of
the milky ocean carrying the Amrutha Kalasam :

utthishtan MahArAja PURUSHA: PARMAADHBHUTHA:

amrutha poorNa kalsam Bhibhrath valaya bhUshitha:

SA VAI BHAGAVATHA: SAAKSHAATH VISHNORAMSA SAMBHAVA:
DHANVANTHARIRITHI KHYAATHO AAYURVEDA-DHRUGIJYA-BHAAK

Srimath BhAgavatham : 8.8.31, 34, 35 excerpts

(meaning): Out of the milky ocean arose a MahA Purushan
of exquisite beauty and divinity. He held in His hand
the PoorNa Kalasam containing amrutham. He had a KankaNam
on His wrist and was adorning exquisite aabharaNams .
He is an amsam of SrIman NaarAyaNan and incarnated as
Dhanvanthri .He is the author of Aayur Vedam and
shares Havis in Yaagams with DevAs.

The awe struck and greedy asurAs snatched the amrutha
kalasam from the hands of Dhanvanthri,who let that
happen and disappeared form their middle.DevAs prayed
to the Lord for help , since they could not overcome
the asurAs in the ensuing fight. SrIman NaarAyaNan
promised to help the DevAs.

Immediately , Bhagavan took on the form of a most beautiful
girl and appeared before the asurAs and the dEvAs. The AsurAs
immediately forgot all about the amrutha kalasam and began
to run after this Mohini . Bhagavatham salutes the Mohini
avathAram of the Lord as " sarvAvaya Sundarai". AsurAs
asked the bewitching Mohini as to who She is and being
intoxicated with Her beauty asked Her with great trust
to distribute the amrutham that they had snatched form
Dhanvanthri's hands in a fair manner betwene the dEvAs
and the asurAs. Mohini warned the asurAs not to trust Her
and the asurAs overcome by the blinding beauty of Mohini
handed over the amrutha kalasam to Mohini . The Lord taking
the Mohini Roopam decided not to give the asurAs the nectar
since they did not have devotion to Him from birth and did not
want them to live forever as Youth and free from death.
The asurAs did not perfom SaraNAgathi to the Lord unlike
the dEvAs and the Lord decided to prevent them from
getting any share of the life giving nectar. Out of
their attraction for the beauty of Mohini , the asurAs
did not question Mohini and soon there was no more
nectar left in the Kalasam for them. BhagavAn took
on His own Roopam now .The asuraas recognized that
they have been cheated and began to quarrel with
the dEvAs. The Lord appeared on the back of Garudan
and routed the army of asurAs and protected the dEvAs,
His devotees.

Thus , we have to attribute the bringing of
amrutha Kalasam from the miky ocean by Dhanvanthri
and the subsequent distribution of the amrutham from that
Kalasam to the Lord appearing as Mohini .

Amrutha MaTana-VaibhavAya SrIman NaarAyaNAya Nama:
V.Sadagopan