Re: (unknown)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 17, 2002

Dear Bhagawat Bandhus,

Shri Gururaj Rao is right when he says that each
should uphold his own dharma but be tolerant to others
and try to see what is common to all instead of trying
to see the differences. Differences in perception
shall be a matter of interest and should reinforce our
faith in the variety of His Leelas.

Next, when we criticise (or shall I say when we are
trying to submit a differenct perception), we can do
it in two ways. We can be very forthright or we can
slightly sweeten the pill. Sometime ago, I came across
a Sanskrit Sloka: "Satyam Brooyat, Priyam Brooyat, Na
Brooyat Satyamapriyam". I hope I am able to convey the
phonetic pronounciation correctly. It means, "Speak
truth, speak sweetly, don't speak truth which is not
dear." And when we follow the later approach, we find
that our views are well received and the others try to
understand us better.

I am also a 'guest' in the sense used by Sri Gururaj
Rao. I have been brought up in the Smartha tradition,
and am influenced by Sri Adi Sankara. But when I
recently read the biography of Sri Ramanuja, I
developed a lot of liking for His teachings and His
humility and Love to all. And yesterday, I had the
good fortune of reading a small biography of Sri
Madhwa, so now I am really blessed.

The marga of Bhakti is open to one and all,
irrespective of their mental conditioning. At the same
time, knowing more about the great Acharyas of one's
own tradition is very important and this forum is
doing a great job.

And by the way, while most of you did visualise me as
a male, Sri Malolan thought of me as a lady. No
offence, but I am a man. I am from Haritasa Gotra,
Andhra, Brahmin, engineer by profession, 53 years now
and working in a Govt. of India Organisation in India.
My full name is Swarna.Venkateswara Swamy. Swarna of
course means gold, but in this case is my surname, and
happens to be the name of a vilalge from which our
ancestors hailed. I have not seen that village!)

This forum is indeed useful and I am getting a lot of
benefit.

May Sri Hari shower His grace on all. Hari Om.

Swamy
(I use this as a short form of my name and not in any
spiritual sense. I know that Swamy means a Master. I
am a Sadhaka with a long way to go.)

http://sports.yahoo.com