Re: Lakshmana and Nitra Devi

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 15, 2002

Lakshmana son of Sumitra, during the 14 years of exile did not sleep and he maintained celibacy. Indrajit (Meganada) the powerful son of Ravana had received a boon that he would only be killed by one who maintained celibacy and did not sleep for at least 12 years.
Lakhsmana is a role model as he served / serves Lord Ramachandra's cause in all possible ways. He sacrificed his personal consideration to serve his brother. He followed Lord Rama to the forest even though Kaikeyi did not wish to, Dasaratha Maharaj did not order him to accompanay Lord Rama yet he left Ayodya  to the forest with his brother. In the forest he worked hard day and night for Lord Rama and mother Sita. He acted as watchman when they were asleep, he brought fruits from the forest to them, he built hut for them and etc. Lakshmana once said, if my Lord Rama wants to enter fire, I shall enter first. He cannot leave the company of his brother even for a second. At Chitrakuta, he was even prepared to attack Bharata when he saw Bharata coming with his army as he thought Bharata was coming to destroy Lord Rama to rule the kingdom without fear. Some praise Bharata for his love and devotion to Lord Rama, while others praise Hanuman for his heroic feats in serving Lord Rama but Lakshama in no way inferior to both Bharata and Hanuman.
Bala
Penang, Malaysia
  Srinivasa Raghavan  wrote: Namskaram,

With my little knowledge i will also try to say few
words. I also have heard that story. This story really
proves the dedication of lakshmana with regard to his
brother/Lord Sri Rama. He had not slept( not even a
wink of sleep) during 14 years. This was also to
fulfill his words given to his mother to protect Rama
& Seetha. As per my knowledge this story is true &
also a role model.
Please correct me any wherre if i am wrong as my
knowledge is very poor.

Namo Narayana....
Raghavan.

--- saivanaja wrote:
> Namaskarams to all Bhagavathas.
>
> Is there a story in Ramayanam regarding Lakshmana
> being over taken by
> Nitra Devi at the time of Sri. Rama's pattabishekam?
> I heard it from
> who I thought to be a very reliable person on
> religious matters. But
> when I narrated the story, a couple of my friends
> said that it is all
> a figment of imagination and there is so such story.
> I request the
> learned members to enlighten me. Since the story is
> long, I am not
> reproducing it.
>
> Krishnan Seshadri

> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/