Re: Of Hari, Green and Radha

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 12, 2002

Hari Om. I am a new entrant of this discussion group
and as already mentioned in my earlier postings, a
Smarta, i.e. a worshipper of all Gods including Vishnu
and Siva. I do not pretend to completely understand
the discussion about Hari, Radha and their colors.

But I have one point to submit. Shri Malolan Cadambi
says at the end of his reply that one should not offer
worship without knowing all the attributes of a name.
But if the person did not know that the word Hayagriva
applied to both the demon and God (Vishnu), he would
obviously be thinking of the positive aspects of that
name only and not the negative aspects, isn't it?

So, even if a person utters or praises a name without
fully understanding all its attributes, he may still
be saved by God. After all, Valmiki as a hunter was
given the mantra Rama turned backwards (Mara) by the
sages and he went on repeating the same and became a
great Sage!

In Devi Puranam also, Krishna and Radha are portrayed
supreme. I don't claim to have studied all the
different schools of thought and hence don't wish to
confuse the issues further with my limited knowledge.

I would like to make one appeal to the members of this
elite group, that they correct each other with love
and affection.

Hari Om.

S.V.Swamy

http://www.ramanuja.org/sv/bhakti/archives/sep99/0005.html