Re: Feb 2, 2002: BaguLa Panchami Dinam: AarAdhanam for Sadhguru ThyAgarAja Swamy at ThiruvayyARu : Part I

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 4, 2002

Anantha praNama to all Bhagavathas.
Prostrating at the feet of SrimAn SatagOpan Swami,
adiyEn would like to submit two points.

1. 108 NAMAVALI BASED ON ST. THYAGARAJAÂ’S
COMPOSITIONS:-
The pancharatna kriti ‘jagadAnandakAraka” (raga –
nAttai) is a composition of nAmArchana. This has been
vividly and elaborately elucidated by sri Satagopan
swami in his tamil book on the pancharatna kritis
(compiled through letters to his sister). This seems
to be another anubhava of the swami in the same lines.

2. ST. THYAGARAJA AS A PRAPANNA :-
Vedas do mention worship of devathas, scores of rishis
and munis who have seen directly sriman nArAyanA
(sAkshAtkArA Darsanam) have sung the praise of other
devethas. It is, hence, more appropriate to understand
their view point. They do not worship the other
dEvthAs as paratathva, but as parama bhAgavthas or
AchAryas. Like Lord Shiva is considered as the AchArya
who advised the RamatAraka Mantra. ThyagarAja swami,
for example, in the kriti “Seethamma mAyamma” says
“ParamEsha Vashishta parAsara nArada Sounaka Suka
surapati lambhOdara guha sanakAdhulu” – who are these
– they are-“ BhAgavata agrEsarulu”- then what – hence
they are “parama bhAndhavulu” to us. The pancharatna
kriti “endarO mahAnubhAvulu” (Sri ragam), is also
fully dedicated to Bhagavatas. Then people do question
that he has sung compositions on the dEvathAs overtly
also. We must go little deeper into those
compositions.
For example. let us take the kriti “Sri gaNapatini
SevimparArE” in SourAshtra ragam. Lyrics in the last
stanza says “ anayamu hari charaNa yugamuLanu
hridhayAmbujamuna nunchi, vinayamunanu thyagarAja
vinuthudu vividha gathula thitthaLAngumani vedalina –
sri gaNapatini SevimparArE”. Here he extols GaNapati
as one who has firmly installed SRIHARI in his heart
and one who joyously dances singing His praise. This
BhAgavatha in GaNapati is extolled in this kriti.
Unlike few other composers that eulogise anyone and
everyone as “MoolAdhAra moorthy” or “praNava swroopi”
etc., It is very important to record that Swami
ThyagarAja never eulogises these Devathas as
paradEvatha but worships them as paramabhAgavatha that
guides us through our life to attain the paratathva in
Sri Rama. To worship such BhAgavathas is perfect even
as per AzhwAr as stated in thiruvAimozhi in the verses
 “payilum sudroLi moothiyai … payilum thiruvudayAr
evarEnum avar kaNdeer, payilum pirappidaithOrum emai
Alum paramarE”.

Seek the blessings of the all the bhAgavathas, if
there are mistakes in my words, sincerely request to
correct me and enlightenme.
DAsanudAsan
Suderson

=== message truncated ===