Re: Maha Bharatham

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 27, 2001

At 05:10 PM 2/26/01 +0530, you wrote:
>Srimate Ramanujaya namha
>
>Dear Bhakthas,

>Could someone guide as to where I can find English
>translation or commentary of these Jewels !
>
>S.Govindrajan

Dear Sri Govindarajan:One of the best translations
of MahA BhAratham is by Sri Chakravarthy Rajagopalachari,
the former Governor General of India.You can have a quick
look at it using the URL:

http://www.hindubooks.org/books_by_rajaji/mahabharata.index.htm

This was released by Bharatiya VidhyA Bhavan .
Sri Rajaji has in his inimitable style distilled
the essence of the 90K slOkams in this work.

Two others are :

(1)van Buiten's 7 Volume Collection with text
   and translation

(2)Romesh Dutt (1893) from University College , London
translated this epic , when India had a population of
200 Million. Some one hundred and seven years later
and 1 Billion plus people later, India still looks
to Mahaa BharathA and Bhagavath GithA inside  as well
as another epic (Srimadh RaamAyaNam) for spiritual
guidance of in its day to day life .

Please read Sri Rajajai's excellent book onthe web.
He had young people in mind , when he wrote this book.

V.Sadagopan