Re: Badarayana

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 25, 2001

Please see below:

In a message dated 2/23/01 4:52:53 AM Pacific Standard Time,
sada@anvil.nrl.navy.mil writes:

>  I also have question about Shreemad Bhaagavatam  which is also
>  attributed to Vyaasa- As I understand Shankara Bagavat paada has not
>  quoted any thing from Bhaagavatam. Is that text from post Shankara
>  period?
VA: The date of Srimadbhagavatam is still a matter of dispute. There are
certainly several archaisms in the language of the text, which have been
studied by scholars. J A B van Buitenen curiously takes these archaisms as a
consious attempt by the Puranakara to give it the semblance of an old work
(See Pg. 223-242 of Studies in Indian Literature and Philosophy/ J A B van
Buitenen; Motilal Banarsidass; 1988- a compilation of his scattered journal
articles). Citations from the Purana occur late (missing even from the
Vishnusahasranama Bhashya attributed to Bhagvatpada) and to my knowledge, the
oldest texts citing the Purana are the Matharavrtti on Samkhyakarika of
Isvarakrishna (again, undated but perhaps close to Shankara's times) and a
work of Abhinavagupta (his Gitabhashya? Will have to check). Then, the
Neelakesi, a Tamil Jaina work quotes some verses below which occur in the
Bhagvatam:

1.  Vyasa, born of a dancing girl, became a great Rishi; Hence, it is tapas
that makes one a Brahmin, and not his birth.
2.  Sakti, born of a Chandala woman, became a great Rishi. Hence, it is tapas
that makes one a Brahmin, and not his birth.
3.  Parasara, born of SwapAki, became a great Rishi; Hence, it is tapas that
makes one a Brahmin, and not his birth.
4.  Vyasa, born of a fisherwoman, became a great Rishi; Hence, it is tapas
that makes one a Brahmin, and not his birth.
I do not know if these verses occur in some other Purana as well. There are
other problems- the text of Neelakesi is not dated precisely and I have
encountered dates from 100 AD to 800 AD. Moreover, the translation that I
used (A. Chakravarti; Neelakesi, the Original Text and the Commentary of
Samaya Divakara Vamana Muni; Kumbhakonam; 1936) does not clarify if the
section of the text is from the original text of Neelakesi or if it belongs
to a late commentary found on the text. Maybe a Tamil scholar could help us
decide by checking the original text in Tamil and adding more details on this
reference.

>Reference to Kapila is there in B. Giita - Ch.10. I assumed
>  this Kapila is the daarshanika of sankhya.  Lord Krishna, listing his
>  vibhuuti-s,  says I am kapila muni.  But again there is  Bhagavaan
>  Kapila as the incarnation of Lord MahavishhNu in Bhaagavatam,
>  teaching sankhya to his mother.  Vishal, as you might have noticed in
>  my notes on Brahmasuutra in adviata list, I differentiated these two
>  kapila-s - that does not mean I am clear on these.  Any help in
>  sorting out these.
VA: There are not 2 but 4 Kapilas spoken of in the Puranas!! This might well
be a later attempt to cover up for the embarassment of earlier prestige of
Samkhya which became the favorite whipping boy of Daarshanikas of all stripes
in later times. A certain animosity existed towards Kapila in ancient times
as well because of the opposition of his followers to the Vedic Karmakanda
(see the Kapila-Go Samvaad of Mahabharata Shanti Parva). In the Baudhayana
Dharmasutra, a Purvapaksha is cited wherein Kapila is called an Asura who
created the Asrama system to delude people. In the Yatidharmasamucchaya of
Yadava Prakash, a contemporary tradition is noted according to which the
division of Sannyasins into 4 classes (Bahudaka etc.) was the invention of
the folloers of Kapila. Thus, the invention of multiple Kapila's could well
be a reflection of the ambiguity with which Indian tradition looked at him.
Incidently, his Ashram is said to be at Siddhapur (where the Sarasvati met
the ocean- close to Chhota Rann of Kutch) and also at Gangasagar (where the
Hooghly meets the Bay of Bengal). Siddhapur as such was devastated when the
Islamic invaders destoyed the Rudramahalaya and other shrines there and
thereafter, the Matrshraddha and other rites of N Indian Hindus associated
with the site have never been revived. Some of my relatives however still
undertake pilgrimages to Gangasagar during the Mela there.
A good summary of various Kapilas is contained in
Chakrabarti, Pulinbehari; Origin and Development of the Samkhya Thought
and
Samkhya darsana ka itihasa; Udayvira Shastri; Virajanand Vaidik Sodha
Samshthana; Ghaziabad (reprinted by Vijakumar Govindram Hasanand; Delhi)

>  Yes I followed that discussion.   I am aware of Shankara's
>  interpretation.  If I recall, Shree Madhva also assumes those
>  suutra-s refer to sankya and yoga only.  I have not yet studied Shree
>  Bhaashya to see how Bhagavaan Ramaanuja interpreted the suutra-s.
>  You presented an interesting thoughts in your postings.  I may refer
>  to them when my notes on the suutra-s reach that point.
VA: Well, just to clarify, my interpretation was not based on the Sribhashya.
Infact, since you are BS 1.1.4, you should definitely refer to the Sribhahsya
at this stage because the most lengthy comment is over before this Sutra in
that work and much of the criticism of Advaita Vedanta is also over by then.

>  >VA: There could have been more than one Brahmasutras. Infact, the
> references
>  >to specific views of the Acharyas mentioned in the Brahmasutras in other
>  >texts as well forces us to draw this conclusion.
>
>  Very interesting - more than one Brahmasuutra-s!  Is this conclusion
>  supported by traditional logicians?
VA: By thetime of Shabara and Shankara, the Mimamsa systems had already
standardized around the texts of Jaimini and Badarayana (or whoseover is the
BS-kaara) just as the Vyakarana of Panini eclipsed the texts of his
predecessors like Apisali, Shakatayana etc. Similar standardization is seen
in other areas as well- Sakala RV almost absorbing all other Sakhas of RV
(with exceptions like Malabar and Gujarat). However, in the
Naishkarmyasiddhi, the Sarirakasutras of Jaimini are clearly mentioned. Refer
the Suresvaracharya's svopajnavrtti titled 'Sambandhokti' on
Naishkarmyasiddhi 1.91 wherein the context makes it clear that it is Jaimini
whose Sariraka sutras are implied (despite unnecessary insertions like
'tadguru' etc. by the later commentators).

>  am not aware of Panchashikha - is this sankhya used in a general
>  sense as Vedantic knowledge or used as sankhya as darshhana of Kapila
>  or completely different from these two.
VA: Panchasikha was the disciple of Asuri, who in turn was the disciple of
Kapila. Form the penultimate verse of Samkhyakarika, it is clear that Kapila
and Asuri did not write much on the system (although Kapila is the founder)
and it is Panchasikha who composed most of the texts of the school ('tena cha
bahudha krtam tantram'). Under Brahmasutra 2.1.4 as well, Panchasikha is
called 'Paramarshi' and his text is called 'Tantra' . The actual name of the
text was 'Sashtitantra' as known from numerous sources. In the course of
time, Samkhya itself split into numerous schools and the dominant stream was
the one proposed by Panchasikha (with schools of others like Varshaganya,
Vindhyavasin and Panchadhikaran- who is quoted by Padmapada in
Prapancasaravivarana). K, A and Pancasikha are mentioned by name in the
Srutisarasamuddharanam of Sri Totakacharya (see
http://www.voi.org/vishal_agarwal/totaka.html )
The extant Samkhyasutras are sometimes called 'Pancasikha pravachasutras'
which could mean that they are extracted from the Shastitantra. Kramadipika,
a commetary on the Tattvasamasasutras is sometimes attributed to him.

The attribution of all texts of Samkya to Kapila is similar to attributing
statements from Sabarabhahsya to Jaimini. Such a practice is seen very often
in Indian texts- that of attributing later texts to the founders of their
respective schools. Thus, Vyasabhashya is quoted under Yogasutrakrt
Patanjali's name sometimes and so on.

To end, the Srutaprakasika quotes an older commentator on the BS to the
effect that the naastika elements of of Samkhya etc, were added later on. He
says:
" All the four of the Agamas praised by Badrayana in the Mahabharata were
originally wholly authoritative and totally without conflict with the Vedas,
since their original propounders are omniscient lords who are completely
without any of the faults that would vitiate their intrinsic validity.
However, in the case of each of these four Agamas, non-authoritative aspects
in conflict with the Vedas crept in because of faults in the intellects of
the composers of later books that were based upon and attempted to interpret
the original Agama. Therefore, Badrayana in the Tarkapada of the Brahma
Sutras intended to refute those secondary, non-Vedic aspects that were
imposed upon the original Agamas by later fallible human authors who did not
correctly grasp the intention of the original infallible composers."
The agamas in question are Samkhya, Yoga, Pancharatra and Yoga.

Regards

Vishal