Re: Is Puri a Divya Desam??

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 19, 2001

Dear Sri Malolan,

Puri is not a Divya dEsam.

I'm afraid you've wrongly interpretted pEyAzhwAr's pAsuram.

As part of describing about his experience on what he saw in Him,
Azhwar says " ... (I) saw Chakram and Shanku on His hand ...".

"sangam" means Shanku (is it mussel in English?). As we all know,
each sanku has an orientation with respect to its spiral formation.
Lord's Sanku is also called "valam puri sankam", meaning "the
shanku which has the orientation on the right side".

"Puri" being a common word in Tamil, it may not be a surprise
to have the word referred in a few places in prabandham. But
it may not be right to take those places as a reference for
Jagannatha temple in Orissa.

dAsan
Balaji

--
Balaji Krishnan, HCL Technologies, Cisco ODC, India
Tel. +91-44-3741939, Ext 2255. Fax +91-44-3741039