Re: Is Puri a Divya Desam??

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 19, 2001

At 03:00 AM 2/18/01 -0600, you wrote:
>sri:
>srimathe raamanujaya namaha:
>
>Dear Bhaktas,
>
>I remember coming across a mention of the divya desam in some of the
paasurams of moonRam thiruvanthadi of pey alwar.
>There are specific(?) mentions about Puri in this prabandham. But
traditionally puri is not included in the list of 108 Divya Desams.

>2282
>thirukkaNdEn ponmEni kaNdEn, thikazum
>arukkan aNin^iRamum kaNdEn, - serukkiLarum
>ponnaazi kaNdEn *puri* sangam kaikkaNdEn,
>ennaazi vaNNanpaal inRu. (2)                            1
>
>There are a few other paasurams with the word puri.

Dear Sri malolan Cadambi:

The Puri that you are referring to in the First Paasuram
of Third ThiruvandhAthi of Pey Azhwaar has nothing to do with
the AbhimAna Sthalam of Poori JagannAth in Orissa.

The Puri here rhymes with PURI IN HasthinaPURI
and not with Poori .

Puri here stands for the valampuri Sankam usually
found on the left hand of PerumAL . At ThirukkOvilUr,
the Divine Puri Sankam is in reverse order. It is on
the right hand .

Puri Sanku is also known as KoonaR Sanku or the bent one.
This Koonam in Paanchajanyam is said to arise from
Seshathva, Vinaya and Bhagavathanubhava reasons .

V.SatakOpan