Re: Question about Kurattalvan

From the Bhakti List Archives

• February 17, 2000

Dear Mani and Fellow BhaghavatAs:

I have heard three versions about Kurattalavan regaining his sight back

(1) Kurattalvan refused to accept his sight back, eventhough Ramanujacharya
appealed to him earnestly to accept it back
(2) That he regained his sight only to have the 'darshan' of Emperuman and
not other things.
(3) That he completely got his sight back

The 'Life of Ramanujacharya' published by the Ramakrishna Mission, I think,
has version (2).

Personally I am always intrigued by the fact that how Emperuman didnot  come
to the rescue of Periya Nambigal, Kurattalvan and Sudarsana Suri.  How did
the 'Karuna Samudram' bear the pains of these great souls.  If these are
karma-phala then what to talk of our 'puny-selves'.

Dasan
Vijayaraghavan
Buffalo, NY