Re: Thiruppavai in sanskrit script

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 30, 1999

--- "Sunil C. Karandikar"
wrote:
> Dear Devotees,
> One of our satsangh member who is interested in
> learning Thiruppavai but> can't read tamil script
has asked adiyen whether> this work is available in
> sanskrit version. Learned members can advise adiyen
> by pointing to any web> source and the publisher
details in India.

Adiyen is not sure if you mean a Sanskrit-versified
version of the "tiruppAvai" or a Sanskrit-
transliterated version of the tiruppAvai.

Adiyen is not sure if there is a
Sanskrit-transliterated version of the tiruppAvai. If
there is one it must be very rare indeed. Ahobila-mutt
Nrsimha-priya Publications adiyen thinks definitely
has one. You could check with their Madras office.

But the much more interesting part in adiyen's view is
a Sanskrit-versified version of the tiruppAvai (of
which adiyen has one copy in his possession).

There was one Sriman Govardhanam Rangachariar (adiyen
is not sure of his time but it cannot be later than a
good 200/300 years) who wrote a Sanskrit version of
the tiruppAvai. It was in prose.
Many years later one of his sishyAs converted it into
poetry in a 'grantha'. Later the grantha was
transcribed into devanagiri script.

It is a very beautiful attempt at versifying the
tiruppAvai into Sanksrit.

The famous 29th-verse "chittran-siru-kAle", for
example,has been turned into Sanskrit as follows:

"prapratyushu upEtya te praNamanam krtvA manOhari te
 pAdAmbhoja-upAsmahE vayam, idam tattvam srNu tvam
harE
gOsannchAraNa-jIva-abhijanE sambhUtim-AsEdusah:
tE-asmatkalpita-dAsyamatra na hi na sveekrutya yukthA
                                     sthithi"    II

"adhyAtOdhya-parigrahAya na vayam gOvinda! vartAmahE
kAlEshu trishu sapta-sapta guNitEshvapyudBhavEshu
tvayA
sangEnaiva yuthA BhavEma cha vayam dAsyam cha kuryAm
tE shishtAn nascha manOrathAn prashamaya sveekurvimAm
                                     prArthanam " II

The above is a very moving, lilting piece of the
Sanskritisation of Tamil poetry! It simply melts one
heart to hear the soulful sentiments of godA-pirAtti's
"sangha-tamizh" spoken in the majestic cadences of the
Sanskrit language!

dAsan,
Sampathkumaran