Re: A 'mArgazhi' diary and accompanying reflections

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 27, 1999

Dear Bhagavathothamas:

Today is a wonderful day in this month of mArgazhi - as swami
Azhagiya MaNavALapperumAL nAyAnAr celebrates  "immalaTTu mAsangaLil
Ethor mAsam vAythatho, an obvious reference to Kannan's words in
bhagavadgeetha - mAsAnAm mArgasheershoham.

To this, add the fact that today's pasuram is about manathukkiniyAn -
Sri RAman and naRrcchelvan - one who gave up his sAdhAraNa dharmam to
purusue the visesha dharmam that supersedes all dharmas, service to
our dear Kannan.  And in this context, Sri Sampathkumar's musings are
instructive, instructive because they illuminate the need for us to
not to attempt to re-invent the wheel, and especially one that
hobbles a lot.

When we have available an ocean of vyAkhyAnams and insights from an
AchArya paramparai that is divinity re-incarnate, why would, and
should, one attempt to interpret thAyAr's pasurams - given for our
benefit - bereft of these wonderful commentaries?  What is more
foolhardy than trying to interpret that vEdhamanaithukkum vithu when
we cannot even bring ourselves to read and experience the joy of
listening to upanyAsams of many a hallowed Acharya or vyAkhyAnams of
smamy periya vaachhAn pillai or azhagiya maNavALapperumAL nAyanAr?

And this is precisely what sri sampathkumar is trying to do.  And in
doing so, he is also guilty of exposing some distorted
interpretations that are orthogonal to the philosophical behemoth
that we call srivaishNavam, a philosophical edifice that holds
nishkAmya karma (extolled by Krishna as an exemplary state in Sri
BG - Ch. 18) as secondary to bhagavat and bhAgavatha kainkaryam.

There are several aspects to Sri Sampathkumar's ** interpretations**
that are contrary to poorvacharya vyAkhyAnams.  aDiyEn will utilize
one such egregious interpretation to attempt to convey to Sri
Sampathkumar about the need to exert  the effort to study (and a
lifetime is not enough) the incredible outpourings of our Acharyas
before attempting to ensnaring oneself in the folly of one's own
fanciful misgivings.

Sri Sampathkumar writes:

> But the chief purpose of life, according to Vedanta,
> is to understand and trancend the "purushArthA-s".
> Once we do attain an intuitive understanding of the
> principles of "aram", "porul", "inbam" and "mOksa" we
> are said to be on the certain road to Godhead.
>
> Andal's "tiruppAvai", scholars and "achAryA-s" remind
> us, actually teems with several scintillating
> references to this great Vedantic matrix of
> "purushArthA-s" described above.

To say that the above lines mis-state the intent of thiruppavai would
be the understatement of the millenium that is about t pass us by.
Thiruppavai essentially is dvayartha prathipAdakam, that He is the
upAyam for the ultimate, and the ultimate is service at His feet.
AnDAL, just so that mandamathis like ourselves do not think that
there is any other purpose to her pasurams, explicitly states
"maRRainam kAmangaL mARRu", the reference being to the two ashddhis
that can come into one's prapathi:  the tinge of ego in the
performance of prapathi, and that the goal is not mOksham, is not the
joy that comes out of the performance of prapathi, is not anything
that even remotely contributes ones own pleasure; it is simply
bhagavadanubhava preethikaaritha kainkaryam - kainkaryam that brings
uhappu to his heart - kainkaryam that brings him unmitigated joy -
isn't He ultimately bhOkta and prabhu, sEshi and swAmy, pita and
bharthA (as He asseverates in the bhagavad geetha)?

ThAyAr's pAsurams, meant for our upliftment (is she not the ultimate
purushakAra bhoothai - these pasurams are not for Her benefit)
reinforce the need for kartrutva buddhi thyAgam and swa-bhOktrutva
buddhi thyAgam.  And to put this wonderful, ineffable aruLiccheyal,
in the all too commonplace  framework of sAmsAric purushArthas is
retrograte at best and grossly offensive at worst.  And to lend
sampradayic authenticity to one's own interpretations  through
statements such as *** "Andal's "tiruppAvai", scholars and
"achAryA-s" remind us, actually teems with several scintillating
references to this great Vedantic matrix of "purushArthA-s"*** seems
to be a weak attempt to reinforce belief in an exposition that has
been derived outside the orthodoxy of Acharya insights.  Instead of
suggesting that Sri Sampathkumar should read Sri PVP's vyakyanam
(which requires a certain maturity of anubhavam and comprehension),
aDiyEn would exhort him to find a good Acharya to learn about  Sri
vaishNavam.  And in doing so, Sri sampathkumar may very well realize
that there is hardly a need to embark on a journey to discover new
meanings to thiruppavai.  If only we can comprehend and experience
the immeasurable beauty and insight in Acharya vyakhyanams, we may
have served our cause for redemption very well.

Azhwaar EmberumAnAr Jeeyar AnDAL thiruvadigaLE sharaNam

sridhar