Re: tiru aradhana during maargazhi

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 1, 1998

SrI:
SrImatE SrI Lakshminrusimha ParabrahmanE namaha

Dear SrI Mani,
namO nArAyaNA. pranAmams.

SrI Mani Varadarajan wrote:

> Dear Bhaktas,
>
> During the month of maargazhi, which we
> will be upon us in two weeks' time, tiru-ArAdhanam
> is supposed to be done before sunrise, as I
> understand it.

    Yes. This is a special tiru-ArAdhanam during dhanur mAsam     and is
not the usual Ijyai.

> My doubt is as follows: on ordinary days, those
> of us who have the yajnopavIta are supposed to
> first do prAtah sandhyAvandanam as the sun
> rises, then continue with brahma yajnam and
> other nitya-karmas, followed by mAdhyAhnikam,
> and then finally ArAdhanam.

    prAtah sandhyAvandanam is not to be done strictly    during sun
rise; rather before sun rises and  when stars are
    still visible.

> What is the procedure during maargazhi? It is
> incumbent upon us, if at all possible, to begin
> prAtah sandhyAvandanam before sunrise and
> do the morning gAyatri-japam as the sun rises.
> Does this mean that ArAdhanam should be performed
> before sandhyAvandanam during maargazhi?

   SandhyAvandanam has to be done anyway before sun rise.   Dhanur mAsa
special tiru-ArAdhanam is also done before
   sun rise. But, this is not "Ijyai" (usual tiru-ArAdhanam) .
   A gruhastA has to perform pancha mahA yaj~nAs and also
   the Ijyai as usual. dhanur mAsam ArAdhanam is a special
   additional ArAdhanam during the Brahma muhurtam.

adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
ananthapadmanAbha dAsan
krishNArpaNam