Re: thirup pAvai - ANDAL - part 3

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 13, 1997

----------
> From: Mudumbi, Ramagopal
> To: bhakti@lists.best.com
> Subject: thirup pAvai - ANDAL - part 3
> Date: Friday, December 12, 1997 4:14 PM
>

> > May Lord Narayana and Bhakti List Members pardon my Azwar and
> > Bhagavatha Apacharam!  Longtime ago I read an article mentioning that
> > PeriAzwar wrote ThiruppAvai in the pseudoname of ANDAL.  I would
> > appreciate if any learned Bhakthi List members comment on this.
> >
> > Ramanuja Dasan
> >
> > Ramagopal Mudumbi

I have read a few articles and books on the historical and literary nature
of thirupAvai.  While some authors, particularly those who are not
SriVaishnava, would suggest that the life of Andal has become clouded by
popular beliefs and SriVaishnava legend, there is nothing among their
analysis to indicate that she did not compose the poems herself.

adiyEn,

Mohan