From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 24, 1995

Dear Sri Sadagopan
Dear Sri Jaganath
Thank you very much for offering to help me. My daughter found this entry
(this is in her own words) in the Encl Britannica.  I was unable to find any
reference to Murugan at all in the Puranic Encl.

He is the chief diety of the ancient tamils, and is quite popular today.
Because of his fierce, warlike qualities, he is identified with the North
Indian god of war, Indra.  When on the battlefield, Murugan and his mother,
Korravai, would indulge in cannibal feasts. His weapons were the trident and
spear and his banner featured the emblem of a fowl.
He is also regarded as a fertility god and it is said his worship included
orgiastic dancing.  A guide to the worship of Murugan, called
Tirimururarruppatai, which was written prior to the 7th cent AD, lists the
chief shrines the devotee should visit.

I would greatly appreciate any, and all, information you can send me. Murugan
was a name I had heard only a couple of times, and then only in a vague way,
then I read a post that he is worshipped by Srivaishnavas so I became
interested

Kindest regards
Ramadas