Re: Traditional dates vs scientific dates

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 15, 1995

On Dec 15,  5:32am, Jaganath.Bharadwaj@nrecatao.nreca.org wrote:
> Here is an extract from a letter written by the then Asthana Vidvan
> of Sri Ahobila Mutt to the English/Telegu editors of Nrsimha Priya
> under the instructions of the then Jeer appointee Srivan Satakopa Sri
> Narayana Yateendra Mahadesikar.  " ... His successors all carried
> His mantle with great distinction and divinity and have been shining
> as Muktas."...

I do not wish to belabor this point, but it appears that
the AsthAna vidvAn is referring to the fact that the jIyars
are shining as muktas now because they have passed on from
this earth.

There is no way in Visishtadvaita that a mukta can still
be embodied on Earth. It makes no sense in our conception of
reality.

> Per the
> English translation of Vedanta Desikars works a Mukta is one who
> serves Sriman Narayana "at all times, in all places and under all
> circumstances and who looks upon this world as Narayana's weapons and
> ornaments."

I am not familiar with this definition.  May I ask in which
work he writes this?

The ubhaya vibhuti of the Lord are the nitya vibhuti
and lila vibhuti.  The former is spoken of in the Vedas
as ``tad vishnoh paramam padam sadaa paSyanti sUrayah'',
and is experienced by the nitya suris and those who have
achieved moksha.  The lila vibhuti is includes this earth
and is experienced by people like us in samsaara.

Mani