Re: re - vali vadham - discussion

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 30, 2002

Dear Sri Vasudevan and all the members of the list,

I thank all of you for your kind words.  I thank sincerely all the members who have written both here and in private appreciating the effort.  Let the Lord who rules our hearts lead us to light, righteousness and truth.

I thank you Sri Vasudevan for initiating the discussion.  You are very right.  The word 'vaNangida' is a Kamabn special.  The way Sugriva approaches Sri Rama greatly differs in Kamban.  This has been pointed out in my posting No.28 'In Silence I stand before you'.  I hope the question is answered there.

I would like to lay emphasis on the fact that the 'saraNagathy' took place in the very first verse that Sugriva utters to Rama.  (Please see Vali Vadham 5: The unintended faux pas and Vali Vadham 20: The case restated).  I quote the words of Sugriva again here: **'charan unaip pugundhEn.'  I surrender unto you.  'enaith thaangudhal dharumam endran.'  It is your dharma to protect me.**
The very tone in which Rama begins his solicitation changes immediately.  He turns into a protector in the very next verse.

I would rather prefer to listen from the learned members of the list.  I think it would be much better to wait for the questions and discussions to build up, before I say anything on these, as only that can lead to a fruitful discussion.

As for the references to Hanuman (The Trusted Deputy).  As most of you may be aware, I have been writing for around two years now on Ramayana, a character study in ChennaiOnline.  With His Grace, Mercy, Will and Guidance, I will be completing my 700th instalment soon.  The captions that I have been giving as cross references were originally intended for ChennaiOnline to link the relevant pages.  I did not have time to revise and remove those references when I sent these articles to Bhakti List.  Kindly bear with me for that.

It would not have been possible for me to have continued with my pursuit but for the support of ChennaiOnline.

There are about 35 or 40 instalments devoted to Hanuman and his development as a devotee from the minister that he was to Sugriva.  If it is considered fit, I would send those to the list.  They are very systematically archived in ChennaiOnline as well.

I invite members to ChennaiOnline's Daily Religion column.  I have just started the study on our Mother, the gracious Mahalakshmi, Sita.

With prayers for peace and prosperity in the New Year,

Sincerely,
Hari Krishnan