RE: HINDU PHILOSOPHY

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 25, 2002

MEEMANSA,WHICH IS ADVAITA.HE REALISED GOD IN HUMAN FORM.DO WE HAVE TO
TEACH THE DIFFERENT PHILOSOPHY TO OUR CHILDREN.CAN'T WE MAKE THEM AS ONE
BY SAYING ALL GODS ARE EQAL AND SAME.

=========================
Dear Sri Vaidyanathan,

While I cannot speak on behalf of the Iyers, I can tell you that the
stark difference between them and the Iyengars is that this latter sect
of Brahmins recognizes itself to be only a minority among the vast
population that has inherited the teachings of Sri Vaishnavam and
Visistadvaitam through its connection to the lineage of Teachers that
traces its roots back to Bhagavad Sri Ramanuja himself.  Consequently,
to seek out any kind of unity between these two communities under some
sort of Brahminical umbrella would be of great injustice to the
thousands of devptees from other communities who also firmly allign
themselves with Sri Ramanuja and His Teachings.

Regarding the unity of gods, it should be noted that contrary to popular
belief, proper followers of the Vedic texts, irrespective of the
philosophical base on which they base their practices, understand that
there is only One Supreme Truth, One Supreme Good, One God, Sriman
Narayana, with all the other Deities being expressions of His Loving
Hand acting in this world.  I am of the opinion that this is the reason
why Sri Narayana Bhattathri and the Brahmins of Kerala are so fond of
Sri Krishna and Sri Narayanaeeyam in which He is so beautifully adored.
Indeed, I am told that even Sri Adi Sankara, whose philosophy did not
encourage the idea of a Personal Concept of Divinity, was of the belief
that the Truest Form of Saguna Brahman is Sriman Narayana.
Consequently, by teaching our children that all gods are one, that Siva,
Vishnu and Brahma are the same, would contradict the very Eternal Truth
that defines us.

I hope this helps in addressing your question.

adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsAnu dAsan
Mohan