Re: Ramayanam and Divya Prabhandam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• November 29, 2002

--- Ramasamy  wrote:
> Sri:
> SrimatE rAmAnujAya nama:
> Dear VaishnavAs,
> In rAmAyanam, after vAli is shot by Sri rAman, he
> accuses rAman for the adharmA done to him, hitting
> from behind. Then Sri rAman comes to him and
> explains
> vAli's sinful activities such as keeping his
> brother's wife as his own, etc.. He also tells him
> that as per dharma sAstra these kind of sinful
> persons can be killed even by hitting from behind.
> However, Sri rAman out of His compassion to vAli
> tells
> him that the pain he had so far is enough as a
> prAyachitham for his misdeeds. He will relive him
> from the pain and allow him to continue his life.
> But, vAli on the otherhand, having understood his
> mistakes, suddenly becomes rAman's dear devotee and
> wants to die now. Because he thinks the death
> from Supreme Lord is more auspecious and it is rare
> opertiunity so that he can attain higher spiritul
> status. Not sure whether he attained mOksham.

Dear Sri Ramasamy,

One more reason is that nobody can kill Vali with a
direct fight even Ravana lost to Vali as well as other
asuras such as Dundubhi, Mayavi and etc. Vali with his
necklace given by Indra (his father) will be able to
get 50% of the strength of his enemy in direct fight.

Because this benediction received by Vali that he
would acquire the half the powers of his opponent in
combat, no one could have faced and won with him in
battle.

The only way to kill Vali without violating the
benediction was to kill him from a concealed position.
While Rama was never bound by this, in order to honor
the benediction of His devotee, he choose to take an
apparently inferior position.

Rama also had given his word to Sugriva Maharaj that
he will kill Vali and remember at that time Sugriva
was struggling fighting for survival and Rama must do
something to safe his devotee ( kaunteya pratijanihi
na me bhaktah pranasyati, B. Gita Chapter 9).

Regards
Bala.

=====

Balakrishnan A/L Muniapan