Lord's Thiruvullam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 21, 2000

Srimate Sri Lakshminrisimha Parabrahmane Nama:
Srimate Ramanujaya Nama:
Srimate Nigamantha Mahadesikaya Nama:
Srimate Athivan Satakopa Yathindra Mahadesikaya Nama:
Srimate Srivan Satakopa Sri Vedantadesika Yathindra Mahadesikaya Nama:
Srimate Sri Lakshminrisimha Dhivya Padhukasevaka
Srivan Satakopa Sri Narayana Yathindra Mahadesikaya Nama:

Dear BhakthAs

I have few observations regarding the ongoing discussion among Bhakti-group
members
about supriority/holiness  of one river over the other.
It is true that many of us acknowledge Ganga is most holy river in India
(rather World) as no other river enjoys such a holiness.  In Thiruppavai,
the mention of
Yamuna gives impression that it is the holiest.  Whereas in one of the
Alwar's pAsurams ( I do not remember Alwar's name and full pAsuram) it is
mentioned as "Gangaiyinum punitha
Kaveri".  Here river Kaveri is given the highest degree of holiness as
compared to Ganga.

In this context I also would like to bring to notice that in our Hindu
religion, though we accept one GOD ( Supreme Being) philosophy,  different
sects adopted
their own approach to the superiority of the Deities. In Shaivam, Siva is
the Supreme Lord and Vishnu & other deities (devathas) one or the other time
go to
Lord Siva and plead for His help during crisis times.  Similarly in Shaktam
(Shakti
worship) both Siva, Vishnu and other devathas go to Her for blessings. And
of
course in Sri Vaishanavam it is Lord Narayana for everything and is the
Ultimate.

So it is only by belief and  full faith in the Lord, determined by  own self
consciousness and of course by the will of the God,
that the persons belong to a particular sect praised one over the other.

Going by this,  pAsurams and other songs in praise of Lord (including
narration on archA murthys) and related
environment (rivers, mountains, tanks, theerthams etc) which came out
spontaneously from the mouth of Alwars, Nayanmars and
other devotees were very much momentary upon seeing/feeling their Lord. At
this kind of mental state ( direct experience
of Supreme Being), definitely they won't have made any conscious comparison
(due to their full consciousness with Lord) on
material/natural entities.

It is only we make conscious comparison (as we do now ) through our
researches and analyses etc.  So obviously a lot of inferences and new
interpretaions would take place with the information that we have from
various sources.

As a follower of  Sri vaishnavaite sampradhayam,  I believe that it is
Sriman Narayanans' Thiruvullam to manifest in various forms
and to bring out His glories and qualities through Alwars and  other
devotees at different times including  giving importance
to natural entities ( rivers, theerthams, places etc).

I also seek pardon from devotees if their sentiments are hurt in any way.
The intention of writing this is to get enlightened in the subject in a
more meaningful way.

Comments on my observations are welcome.

Adiyen Shri Ranganatha Dasan
Balaji K

Dear Sudarsan,

Nice to hear of the vibrant activity in Singapore.
I have a couple of observations, if you don't mind:

(a) The normal order of events during mArgazhi mAsam
    is FIRST the usha: kAla visesha ArAdhana, including
    tiruppAvai recital and only then the prAta: sandhyA.
    The reason for this is that the visesha ArAdhana
    is done before sunrise, so it belongs before the sandhyA
    (clarified by Srimat Poundarikapuram Andavan Swami).

(b) The criticism of the Ganga river sounds rather harsh.
    I would consider it a privilege, as nearly all Vaidikas
    do, to bathe in the same water that touched the body
    of a great bhAgavata such as Siva.  When Sage Vishvamitra
    was guiding Rama and Lakshmana through the forest, Valmiki
    Maharishi writes:

      bhavAnga-patitam toyam pavitram iti paspRSuH |

      They bathed in the waters [of the Ganga] considering
      it pure because of contact with Siva's limbs

           [ SrImad rAmAyaNam, bAla-kANDam ]

    Perhaps it is 'na hi nindA stuti', but still a little
    bit troublesome.

With regards
aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,
Mani