shatagopa? Re: [GITA JAYANTI : TOMMORROW ( THURSDAY - EKADASI)]

From the Bhakti List Archives

• December 6, 2000

Dear Members,
>"Krishna Kalale"  wrote:
>Srimathe srivan shatagopa sri vedanta desika yatindra maha desikaya
>namah
>Srimathe sri Lakshmi nrisimha divya paduka sevaka srivan shatagopa
>sri narayana yatindra mahadesikaya namah

The divine name of SrImath namAzwAr is being spelt in various ways in the
many communications of many people, which I have observed; According to me
the name may be written as SaTakOpa or SatakOpa.

Shatagopa, Satagopa, satagopa, shatagopa etc., does not appear to convey
the meaning of the original Sanskrit term.

Therefore, I request the members to follow a uniform spelling convention for
writing the name of our SrI VaishNava kulapathi - SaraNAgatha santhAna
jana-kUtastha swAmy namAzwAr. This request is extended for all such
Sanskrit terms/verses quoted in the communications.

Even the spelling that I have suggested may be verified against the standards
adopted in Sanskrit transliteration. The aim of this mail is to only request
people to ensure the divine name of our swAmy namAzwAr written properly in the
communications mentioning it. No offence/criticism is meant in any form in
this suggestion.

If an uniform tranliteration standard is maintained regarding writing
Sanskrit terms/verses, it will help the reader to study it more
clearly.

Thanks & Regards
M.S.HARI RAmAnuja DAsan (mshari@usa.net)