Re: Re amen and Om

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 5, 1999

Just an interesting distraction:

In Hindusthani which is a confluence of the indian Dhrupad (which has
origins in the vEdAs) and Persian music, rAg yaman is supposed to
represented auspiciousness, and I was at a Dhrupad mElA in Banares over 15
years ago, when noted Dhrupad musician UstAd ziAuddin dAgar discussed the
origin of the name and if memory serves me right, he derived it in the
following geneological (if I can use the word here) tree.

Aum -->  aam ->  AmIn -> aman -> yaman

Just another data point for your observation.

Regards,

Raja Krishnasamy