Re: Sri Vaishnava tradition

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 4, 1999

ac@ampsc.com wrote:

>I am currently reading books on basic Hinduism.  Is there anything like
>"Dancing With Siva"  for westerners from a Vaishnavite perspective?

I wonder if you mean "The Dance of Siva" by Ananda K. Coomaraswamy. If this
is the book mentioned by you, it doesn't refer to a Shaivite (or for that
matter, any other religious) perspective at all. In fact the complete title
of the book is "The Dance of Siva, Essays on India Art and Culture". You
will agree with me that it deals with everything from Indian Music and Art
to the status of Indian women. The title essay within, describes exactly
that...the dance of Siva as Nataraja and has little to do with Shaivite
philosophy.

But you've got the right idea. I understand web access can be difficult,
yet, I would strongly suggest you try to access the sites recommended by
Mani Varadarajan at some point. They are lucid in their interpretation and
easy to comprehend even for humble beginners like me!

Best wishes,

Bhuvana