Thiruvaaymozhi 9.3- Narayanan- avanE avanum avanum avaum

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 27, 1998

>From: "Madhavakkannan V"
>Subject: Thiruvaaymozhi 9.3- Narayanan- avanE avanum avanum avaum
>Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 21:53:24 PDT

>Sri:
>
>Dearest Sisters and Brothers,
>
>Emperumaan, (in order to let the AzhwAr enjoy Him and to grant AzhwAr
>whatever he wishes), shows His NarayaNathvam to AzhwAr. AzhwAr, in this
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>ten is greatly elated in his narration about Sriman Narayanan and His
>greatest guNAs.

Dear BhakthAs :

NammAzhwAr must be listening to this wonderful
Saazhals among BhakthAs on the Ananatha KalyANa GuNams of
Sriman NaarAyaNA going on and is entering the mind of
our Sri MadhavakkaNNan and points out to us through
his three successive paasurams of this decad (9.3.7-9)
to reflect upon the three divya desa EmperumAns at
Ahoblam , Thiruppathi and Srirangam in that order !

In the seventh Paasuram of this Patthu , the image that
comes first before the mind's eye of NammAzhwAr is
none other than Sri Lakshmi Narasimhan .The next one
is of the Lord of Thirumalai , who performed SamAradhanam
for TadhiyALs during the time of His marriage
to Sri Padmaavathi .After that  comes the reference
to Sri RanganathA lying on AdhisEshA .

Seventh Paasuram and Sri Narasimhan
************************************

NammAzhwAr in his Thiruvaimozhi 2.6.6 Paasuram has
already hinted about the ancient nature of Narasimhan
by saluting him as " munnaik kOLariyE mudiyAthatennenakkE ".
Oh The most ancient One standing before me ! Oh PurAdhanA !
What would be impossible for me from now on ? The Key words
here are " Munnaik kOLariyE ". kOLari is Narasimhan .
Munnai means munnorukkAl , in the most ancient time ,
when You came down from Sri Vaikuntam  and appeared as
PrahlAda Varadan at AhObila KshEthram .My heart is desirous
of seeing Your Adbhutha , PurAdhana Adhi mUlam at
Sri Vaikuntam , Your original , permanent abode says
AzhwAr longingly  .

>7. Bhagawaan, took the form of Nara simha rUpam, and tore the chest of
    ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>hiraNyan with His sharp nails and killed him. My mind has been desirous
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>of seeing Him at ParamAkAsam, Sri Vaikuntam. (The upper Great Space). My
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                          ^^

>heart has been longing to see His permanent place Paramapadham.

Thirumangai mannan , who was the last of the AzhwArs ,
had the greatest Bhaagyam of Receiving ManthrOpadEsam
from the Lord Himself . What does he do immediately ? He starts
his divya desa yaathrA in the North . In Periya Thirumozhi(PTM)
1.2 , he salutes the EmperumAn of Thiruppirithi , Parama Purushan
and journeyss sequentially to perform MangaLAsAsanams for
Sri Badari NaarayaNan at BadarikAsramam ,
Sri MUrthy of SaaLagrAmam , Sri DevarAjan
at NaimisAraNyam and finally reaches AhObilam to perform
MangaLAsAsanam for Sri Lakshmi Narasimhan saluted by
NammAzhwAr earlier as Parama Padha Naathan . He states
very clearly that without the sahAyam of that powerful
Lord of AhObilam , there is no way of visiting His
Divya Desam : "DhaivamallAl sellavoNNA SingavEL kunRamE ",
just as it is not possible to enter Sri Vaikuntam without
His blessings . In that " sillusillenRellaRAtha SingavEL
kunRam " , Thirumangai describes the nija svarUpam of
the Lord by saluting Him in his 9th Ahobila paasuram as :

" nallai nenjE naam thozhuthum NAMMUDAI NAMPERUMAAN
  alli mAthar pulha ninRa  Aayiram thoLanidam --"

First , the salutation is to Sri Lakshmi Narasimhan
( alli mAthar pulha ninRa NAMMUDAI NAMPERUMAAN ).
It has been suggested by AzhwAr according to
the fine intrepretation of UtthamUr Swamy
that He does not present Himself easily to those ,
who do not have the full appreciation of His
dear consort , who pleads for the Jeevan that
has committed so many apachArams .Without that
merciful intercession ( PurushakAram ) , our Prapatthi
is not accepted by the Lord. He turns His face away
when our Most Merciful Mother does not intercede .

He is also referred to here as the one with
Sahasra shoulders ( aayiram thOl udayaan ) .
The allusion is to Purusha Sooktham and
the Aadhi form .NaarayaNa sooktham follows
establishing HIM as the Sriya: Pathi and
para devathai ( Supreme One) .

The most important reference here is to the Lord of
AhObilam as " NamperumAn " with a prefix " nammudai ".
This is the FIRST celebration of Sriman NaaraayaNA
as " NamperumAL ". AzhwAr was hinting perhaps about
this MaalOlan  going few hundred years later
on SanchAram with Soumya Simhams and come to our
(Nammudai ) homes and bless us thru His Aaradhakar's
Rahasya ManthrOpadEsams . In all the VadanAttu Thiruppathis
that he viisted until arriving at AhObilam , AzhwAr
in the view of UttamUr SwamigaL felt that there was
no traditional Sri VaishNava AarAdhanams . At AhObilam
however , it was more sampradhAic and belonged
to Namm tradition . Hence . UtthamUr SawmigaL says
that Azhwar chose the word "Nammudai" . It is also
a proud identification , just as a proud father
saying , namma Paiyyan got the first rank" .That
kind of "nammudai " is indicated .

>8. Emperumaan  destroys all our good and bad deeds, with no trace of
>remnant even. Again, He is the One who does NOT let our AthmA enter into
>another body and start all over again and let us get out of this vicious
>cycle. He shows Himself at ThiruvEnkadam so gracefully in standing
>posture and blesses us. When there is ThiruvEnkadam on this earth for
>us, only to reach Him, can we leave the chance? Even Devas come here to
 ^^  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>pay obeisance to Him. Hence, there is NO DIFFERENCE between Parama
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Padham and ThiruvEnkadam  (Advantage Murali and Sudharshan!)
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here at SeshAdhri , The Lord of the seven hills
is worshipped by the DevAs and Humans for the removal
of their two Vinais as VenkatanAthan and cuts the
SamsAric bond forever for those , who offer their
salutations . This SrinivAsan stands as DayA sindhu
to bless us on these holy hills . In this Thiruvaimozhi
patthu (9.3.8) , Sri SrinivAsan gets the attention of AzhwAr
after Sri Lakshmi Narasimhan. We also know that both
Sri RamachandrA and SrinivAsan worshipped Sri MaalOlan
for Ishta KaamyA siddhi(?). Sri RamachandrA wanted
the blessings of MaalOlan for the success in His battle
with RaavaNan and union with His dEvi. Thiru VenakatamudayAn
performed the Vaidhika TadhiyAradhanam for MaalOlan's
blessings to enter into matrimonial state as a grahasthan
and also for a happy conjugal life on His hills .

>9. BhagawaanE! I shall bring most beautiful fragrant flowers, pure water
>to perform Thiruvaaraadhanam to You. But as per You, even this is NOT
>required and is more than enough. (That shows Your mercy! And greatness,
>Lord!). EmperumaanE! The One who has AdhisEshan as Your bed! I simply do
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>not KNOW how to hug Your Lotus Feet and ways to perform my kaimkaryam to
>You. I am so lowly.

Here , the tribute is to Sri RanganaathA ( Pazhuthil thol
pukazhp paampaNaip paLLiyAi ) . Naicchiyam of AzhwAr is
abundantly implied here , when he declares his aakinchanyam
and ananyagathithvam . This plea is to bhU lOka Vaikunta
nAthan , who was worshipped by Sri RamachandrA in AyOddhi .

10.>  Your Greatness- Your capacity- Your powers- forever- one can
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                                       ^^^^^^^^
>keep praising them for ages at a stretch. How will "I" be able to do
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>justice to that?
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

NammAzhwAr proceeded in a particular order and then
concluded this decad with the appropriate statement ,
" Oh Sriman NaarAyaNA ! How Will I be able to do Justice
to praise Your anantha Kalyana GuNams adequately ? "
and went on in the next decad's paasuram 7 to
declare that Narasimha rUpa NaarayaNan has been
kept by him permanently in his heart and that the Lord
enjoys this "incarceration" . He explains to the Lord that
He (Lord Narasimhan) is remaining in his
heart solely for his (AzhwAr's) enjoyment .The Lord has
nothing otherwise to gain by such residence.

Sri Rangarajan has now finished his scholarly and
deeply devotional postings on Sri Oppiliappan
in a uniquely personal manner . I am so glad
that Sri Rengaraajan made the case for me
regarding " the vakkaalatthu " for
YengaL PerumAL .My load is now lighter .

I will post tomorrow one article on
the greatness of ThiruviNNagrappan
naturally and attempt to provide a unified perspective
and make a case for the Lord decorating the Silver
Mantapam worshipped by Soumya Simhams and how that
MaalOlan makes that mobile Silver Mantapam
an unparalleled roving "Divya Desam " in its
own right.

Tomorrow is AavaNI VisAkam ; this constellation
is made sacred by NammAzhwAr , who was born on
a VaikAsi VikAsam day.He arrived at Thiru ViNNagar
and performed his one and only SaraNAgathi
at the Lotus feet of DakshiNa VenkatAchalapathy
standing in His TulasI vanam  Yennappan --
Tanthanan tanathAL NizhalE " .On the banks of
AhOrAthra PushkaraNI our Lord Stands as
Sarva Loka SaraNyan and as SaraNAgatha Vatsalan
as well as a PaarijAthA tree blessing
us all forever and ever .

AzhwAr  ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam ,
Oppiliappn Koil VaradAchAri SadagOpan