RE: REF : Dhyana and Gayathri Japam

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 27, 1998

	Srimathe Ramanujaya namaha.

I would like to add one small point about holding the mala. I was told that
one should not use the
"pointing finger" to move the beads. Two reasons, pointing finger represents
ego. You don't want that.
Second, using the pointing finger, moving the beads becomes second nature.
You don't want to be "automatic",
it should be deliberate action which increases the concentration.

I don't do dhyana with the mala (I haven't started dhyana at all), but I
heard this explanation in connection with Japam.

Srinivasan