Clarifications of Names

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 4, 1997

From: Satyan, Nagu on Mon, Aug 4, 1997 4:17 PM
Subject: Clarifications of Names
To: bhakti digest

I would like to get the clarifications of the names such as Vaishnavi
and nArAyanee.  I have seen these names attributed to Lakshmi, and in
some sthothrams attributed to Parvathi.  I know a few SV families who
have daughters named Vaishnavi.  This question was triggered by a song
 in the movie "Navagraha Nayaki".  The song has a line as follows
"madhavan sahodari vaishnavi", refering to Parvathi.

With my limited knowledge of Sanskrit and etymology, I had thought
Vishnusya pathni vaishnavi.  It appears it is vishnosya sahodari
vaishnavi.  What is the interpretation by our Acharyas?

We are all aware of the traditional sloka "guru brahma guror vishno
guru dEvO mahEshwaraha, guru sAkshAth parabrahma thasmai sri guruvE
namaha."  A few years back when we hosted an Advaitha Swami, he taught
us the following additional lines:

"eashwarO gururAthmEthi murthi bEda vibhAginE, vyOmavad vyAptha dEhAya
dakshinA murthayE namaha
saranAgatha deenArtha parithrAna parAyanE
sarvasyArthi harE dEvim nArAyanim namOsthuthE"

I am now confused which nArAyanee is being refered to.  Also, I have
heard the explanation for the name "rAmAnuja" as balarAmsya anujaha
rAmAnuja (meaning Krishna) versus rAmasya anujaha (for lakshmana).  It
would appear that the first explanation is more in line with SV
sampradayam of not naming children with names such as Lakshmana,
anantharaman etc.(I do not know the rationale for not naming Lakshmana
 if we can name as  ramanuja).

It appears that there may be dual explanations or interpretations on a
few names.  The interpretations may be subjective depending on the
sampradaayam and traditions.  The topic of "Names" has always
intrigued me and that is why my input to Sri Sadagopan is to discuss
"What is in a name?"

I may be completely off base in my train of thoughts on this subject.
I hope one of you will steer me in the right direction.

Nagu Satyan