Re: FW: saranagati (etymology)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 26, 2002

srImathE rAmAnujAyA namaha
srImadh varavara munayE namaha

Sri Mani wrote:

> [ While 'SaraNa' does mean protection or refuge, as stated earlier
>   the preferred meaning in the context of the rahasyas is 'upAya'
>   or means. This derivation comes straight from the pAncarAtra
>   Agamas. -- Moderator ]

In fact I was wanting to convey the same thing, but the jumbling of
the paras led to a small confusion. Yes, saraNa in the context of
rahasyAs means upAya though it has a direct meaning of 'protection'.
This is well supported by Sri nammAzhwAr in ThiruvAimozhi
" nAgaNai misai nampirAn charaNE saraN namakkenRu....". Look at both
the words being represented here. 'charaNE' meaning His lotus feet
and 'saraN' meaning upAya here. It could be directly construed
as 'His lotus feet are the protectors for us', 'protectors' being the
direct meaning of 'saraN'. But by protecting what is projected is the
upAyathvam of His lotus feet.

Hence 'saraNa' means both 'protect' and hence the 'upAyA'.

AzhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyar thiruvadigaLE saraNam
adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
Thirumalai Vinjamoor Venkatesh