Re: Free-will vs Pre-determination (Ramanuja)

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 19, 2002

Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
I have few things to add to this mail, that need clarification. If
pre-determination exists then God becomes partial. I.E it might look like he
wants only people like alwars and acharyas to attain moksham and that is why
he made them. If it is free-will, it is only karma that makes us obtain
results - here when I say karma, it is not just one person's karma- it is
the combined effort of karmas of everyone. We know God, the brahman is
impartial, so pre-determination is ruled out. But if it were just free-will
then the concept of antharyamithvam i.e he is the niyanta i.e the inner
controller and that he does everything - is again ruled out. If
pre-determination doesn't exist, predictions cannot be done. Nammazhwar
foresaw Ramanujar's birth and sang "poliga poliga poliga". We've seen
Nostradamus' predictions done centuried ago are still being proved to be
happening. If free-will do not exist the concept of karma becomes mayai. :)
sounds like a paradox?! Both do exist and both do not exist? We need some
strong, clear explanations with appropriate references from our sampradayam
and siddhantham i.e from the ubhaya vedas. Learned scholars please clarify
this.
Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan