Re: brahman's pervasiveness in ugly matter

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 19, 2002

Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha!
Dear members,
I would like to share some thoughts that sprang up in my mind when I read
this mail. Well 'akila heya pratyanika' is a a quality of brahman. So, the
quality has to be explained from the brahman's perspective. The failures for
us, the human beings, would be when we try to define that in our own terms.
Well, let us try analysing few things that we encounter in our everyday
life. Pig! the one that rolls in the mud and stinks most of the time. I
repeat it stinks! but for whom? for human beings and may be for few more
animals too. But, a male pig loves the female one. The mother pig loves its
kids. They like and love and are happy. It plays in the mud and it stinks.
Man for that matter, cleans up the pig, kills it and eats it and says the
taste is pretty good. This simple example explains so many things in our
life. The words ugly, good etc are for us  - the beauty lies at the eye of
the beholders. For Sri Ramanujar, the view point was that of brahman.
Brahman distinguishes none. He exists everywhere. There is no ugly or good.
Though this is the quality of the brahman, it has to be defined in a term
that has to be understood by every human being. If there is no distinction
between beauty and ugly, good or bad - what do you call that quality as? It
is a good quality right? Even the judge who is neutral to the good and the
bad is called the good. If judge was not neutral you still call him bad. So,
from that perspective, because the brahman doesn't distinguish between good
and bad, beauty and ugly, that very quality - impartiality - of brahman is
defined as good. I could have stopped with this to explain "akilaheya
pratyanikam", but for, animal faeces! I tend to smile at this one, because
it is very simple to answer this. What are we? We are just ugly beings
wrapped up by an excellent skin. Can anyone see us and feel pleasant if we
remove our skins? What is inside us? We are just made of achit - the Five
elements. Don't we know that our blood stinks, our flesh stinks. Just
because it is inside us does it mean we are good? All these things are
bio-chemicals as the science calls them, and the five elements as our
shastras call them. They have good, bad, pungent, stinking, pleasant and
what not? All kind of smells. But they are just achit! It is a combination
of them that make them likable or not for human beings. So, what is wrong in
brahman being inside that? It makes no difference. The difference is only
for the human beings. I cannot go and play in the mud while a pig can and a
buffalo can. Why should I compare myself with brahman? For brahman, the pig,
the buffalo or myself are all one and the same. These make up his shareera.
My hands may feel that it is cleaner than my legs that are ugly. But for me,
it doesn't make a difference. I don't treat my hands better than my leg for
that. For brahman, we are the bodies and though we are for specific purpose
and differ between us, the difference is not seen by the brahman. Remember!
Brahman is impartial!!! I don't know whether this convinces the person who
raised the question, I just thought I would share my thoughts. Learned
persons, please correct me if I were wrong.
Adiyen Ramanujadasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan