Re: Dispute about the God at Tirumala

From the Bhakti List Archives

AzhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyar thiruvadigaLE saraNam
adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
Thirumalai Vinjamoor Venkatesh
---- Begin Original Message ----

From: "D Bala Sundaram"
Sent: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:30:31 -0700
To: "Bhakti-List NG"
Subject: Dispute about the God at Tirumala

We are aware of the dispute raised about the God at Tirumala and the
role played by Swami Ramanuja in establishing it as the archa of
Sriman Narayana. I am intrigued about this dispute.

The Tamil kappiyam Silappathikaram mentions  Tirumala as a temple of
Thirumal. There are copius references to the temple in Nalayira Divya
Prabhandam. Surely those who raised the dispute shoud be aware of
these references during Swami Ramanuja's time. Are there any
references in other literature to the contrary?

Is the claim of those who dispute rests only on the iconograhic
details?

I am also intrigued by another remark attributed to famous Tamil
scholar Mahavidwan Tirisirapuram Meenakshisundaram Pillai who also
claimed that the god at Tirumala was Sri Subramanya. This remark is
in the biography of Sri U Ve Swaminatha Iyer, "En Charitram". I am
sure that Sri Pillai was aware of the references in Silappathikaram
and Prabandham.

Can the scholars in the group comment?

adiyen Ramanuja dasan

D Bala sundaram