Re: Tirukulathor and ANthanNar

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 8, 2001

D Bala Sundaram writes:
> I read in a book that one of the differences between the
> Thenkalai and Vadakalai is in the treatment of Tirukulathor by
> ANthaNar.

Dear Sri Balasundaram,

To be frank, the tirukulattAr, or Dalits, to use the modern
term, are unfortunately treated extremely poorly by both groups.
Old social habits still prevail. There is little difference in this
regard between the two sects.  Sri K.M. Narayanan has pointed
out a ritualistic difference in the mantra-upadeSa, but this
is applicable to all people who are not brahmin males, not just
tirukkulattAr, and really does not indicate different treatment,
practically speaking.

We may recall how two great Sri Vaishnava Dalits of the past were
treated by our predecessors. Sri Maraneri Nambi was treated by
Sri Yamunacharya and Sri Periya Nambi with the utmost
respect. Sri Periya Nambi himself performed the funeral rites
for Sri Maraneri Nambi, including the brahma-medha, a ritual
traditionally reserved for brahmins.  Sri Vilanjolai Pillai
was a principle disciple of Sri Pillai Lokacharya and transmitted
many esoteric doctrines (rahasyArtha) to Sri Tiruvaymozhi Pillai,
the acharya of Sri Manavaala Maamunigal.