Re: Vaikanasa srivaishnava

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 1, 2001

Thanx for the lucid expression. I have a humble
submission.
I differ from your views on one issue. How can we not
call the Vaikhanasa as "strictly speaking, they are
not sri vaishnavas"? They are 100% sri vaishnavas!!
May not be ramAnusanadiyAr.
The ritual of panchasamskara started later,as some
construe. Though, there is reference to samashrayanam
in Thiruppallandu of PeriyAlwar, there seem not to be
evidence of this in the older epics.
Thirumalai Nambi - Was he a Vaikhanasa or not? If no,
then how did he live as the priest at Thirumalai. Or
was he a smArtha, since he is the maternal uncleof
Swami Ramanuja (who was born in Smartha lineage as we
allknow).
Can anyone please clarify?

--- Mani Varadarajan

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/