Re: code of conduct

From the Bhakti List Archives

• August 1, 2001

Vinjamuri Srimahavishnu writes:
> Dear Bhagavatas,
>
> What is the code of conduct for a Srivaishnava/Brahmin female
> (like sandhyAvandhanam etc. for a brahmachArI)?

Dear Vishnu:

The Vaishnava dharma is applicable to everyone irrespective
of gender or birth.  Any differences stem only from whether
one need perform the vaidika karmas or not.

When you say "code of conduct" I assume you mean
"nitya-anushThAnam" or daily religious practice.
In this regard, Sri Vaishnava women, for example,
are asked to

  (1) Wake up with the name of Hari on their lips
  (2) Take a bath while reciting the holy names of the Lord
  (3) Wear the tirumaN-SrIcUrNam (Urdhva-puNDra) as befits
      a Vaishnava, and meditate on the presence of the Lord
      and Lakshmi in the twelve parts of the body
  (4) Offer arghya to the Lord as resident within the sun
      (I've only read about this -- not performed by any
       women that I know of, but Valmiki Maharshi writes that
       Sita Piraatti did this)
  (5) Do japam of the sacred tirumantra, dvayam and carama-sloka
      as time permits
  (6) Collect articles for the worship of the Lord along
      with whomsoever is at home
  (7) Engage in inner contemplation and worship of the Lord (antar-yAga)
  (8) Perform or help perform the external worship (bahir-yAga) of the Lord
  (9) Study the scriptures, recite stotras and prabandhams, and reflect
      on the meaning of the three esoteric mantras

These guidelines can be gleaned from a perusal of various
acharyas' works, including Sri Vedanta Desika's "vaishnava
dinacari".

aDiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan,